CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What am I missing (Rear wheel removal)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing (Rear wheel removal)?

I know there's got to be some trick to removing and replacing the rear wheel. I always struggle trying to get the brake carrier lined up just right while twisting my nose in a particular direction. Usually takes about 45 minutes of fighting. Course, the manual says, remove nuts, bolts wheel...done. I've got 1 hour of free time Thursday morning to do both wheel before I head out for a couple of days (and about 2000 miles) so fresh tires are a must!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did I sat behind the rear wheel. Starting from the left I inserted the axle through the spacer and wheel until it was even with the right wheel spacer. Then I wiggled the brake carrier into place and tap it home from there.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I quite easy once you get the hang of it.
Here's what I do,

Insert the axle form the left with the left hand while lifting the tire with the other hand. Now, with your other hand, slide a small board under the tire and lift while holding the spacer in with the other other hand and sliding the axle in with one of your hands not being used. Now, take another hand and position the caliper over the axle end while still holding the spacer in place with one hand and with a free hand tap the axle home. Got it? Not so had now is it?

Lets try that again. I use a round piece of wood that is out in my garage. It is cut at an angle, wedge, about 6 inches or so back from the end. I don't know where it came from but it's my tire tool. I guess a straight board would work also. I like the round one because I slide it under the tire and while preforming the circus trick above, I actually lift the tire up by way of said round stick, with my foot. Sometimes I position an other small chunk of wood under my trusty wooden tire tool to hold the tire up, if I need to put the cursed spacer back in several times.

It's a tight fit and it takes time to get it. But, yes, get the axle in and flush with the spacer. Position the caliper and lift the tire with the wooden tool. The left side will be supported with the swing arm so, the wood can be slightly angled so that you can see what your doing. Drive the axle home.

I have done it like pmcg mentioned above but I can't hole the tire up that long and fish around for the spacer that WILL fall out. I use the wood to hold it and go in the house to get a beer before I get to excited.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 04-02-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above, but I use two wooden wedges, one infront of the tyre and one behind. With the lefthand spacer held in place with grease I insert the axle through the spacer and wheel. Some more grease to hold the right hand spacer in place. After that it gets nasty, but generally what happens is the right hand spacer falls on the floor rolls around and picks up all sorts of crap with the aid of the grease I applied earlier. There ensues lots of swearing, grunting and straining, but once you find the right string of profanities the calliper carrier slips right in

Yeah it's a pain

Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Same trick as both guys before me in the poste except, i have a small stooll sit on it , put the tip of foot under the tire and when ready i lift up the tip of my foot and align the whhell with the axle spacer and so , takes me about 5 minutes and when wife id there, i give her an opportunity to bang on the axle with a mallet to push the axle trough.

Once you egt the hang of it, it is easy.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another block head here - only nowadays I don't have to roll around on the floor doing
it - 2k miles is a nice run Malbo

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
2k miles is a nice run Malbo
Only down side is 1300 miles of that is interstate over 2 days

Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Banned

I take the rear wheel off while the bike is on my lift. Its at a good workable height and I get my son to knock the axle through with a rubber mallet while I hold the wheel/spacers in place. The brake caliper can be a bit tricky and not chipping the paint on the rim is an art. I usually have rag on hand to put between the caliper and the rim to minimise pant damage from the caliper.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bordo
I take the rear wheel off while the bike is on my lift.(with one hand) Its at a good workable height and I get my son to knock the axle through with a rubber mallet(with the other hand and the other other hand) while I hold the wheel/spacers in place(with a free hand). The brake caliper can be a bit tricky and not chipping the paint on the rim is an art. I usually have rag on hand to put between the caliper and the rim to minimise pant damage from the caliper.
Almost the same but I use the other other hand and one foot and a stick.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malbojah
Only down side is 1300 miles of that is interstate over 2 days
If I was guessing ! ..... lol