CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong?

Hi Folks,

I seem to have some trouble with my technique on gravel roads.

I know the CBR is not a dirt bike, but we are talking about flat smooth roads here. Now for starter the gravel we get here *is* some of the slipperyest in the world has its all very rounded little marbles on hard packed dirt inter mixed with sand drifts.

But when I ride even in a straight line the front end just wants to tuck under to the point that slowing down I have almost got both feet on the ground to steady her. Other people riding the same roads with sport bikes dont seem to have the same problem.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What am I doing wrong?

what kinda tires and life got on that bike

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM

sounds like you could use a Transalp...or Versys??

Soft pack rollers and a heavy nose probably not a good mix..

[IMG]local://upfiles/15149/7C307E2E6125426AA99B318815F6893C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM

mine dose the same thing the front wonts to turn under it self . It is the same on wet or thick grass.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drop your tyre pressures front and rear, down to 22 lbs It'll increase stability on slippery stuff, as your contact patch is bigger. It'll still want to tuck under if you turn too quickly, though.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 AM

I lowered front end about 1.5cm. And set rear suspension in hardest position. Handling is much more stable than before.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Ride dirt bikes for awhile, then get back on your sport bike. You wont have a problem anymore...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Drop your tyre pressures front and rear, down to 22 lbs It'll increase stability on slippery stuff, as your contact patch is bigger. It'll still want to tuck under if you turn too quickly, though.
Well shadow in the old days, this would be considered sound advice. But nowadays, you must take into consideration, someone might be running the continental sport attack or road attack tire, which the lowest safe recommended air pressure would be 38 psi. Anything below that and the tire stands a good chance of breaking loose from the rim completely it is designed to run at 42 to 44 LBS thought I would just throw that in there

Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But when I ride even in a straight line the front end just wants to tuck under to the point that slowing down I have almost got both feet on the ground to steady her. Other people riding the same roads with sport bikes dont seem to have the same problem.

I'm just guessing here, but all things being equal if others are making it "without a problem" my guess would be it's because you're going too slow and/or not keeping a steady pace. Opposite of what one would think, you're actually decreasing stability by going slower and/or changing up your speed constantly "up to a point" .. going too fast would have the same effect so you have to find the fine line (based on the condition) that gives you the most traction .. when speeding up 'no jerky motions' should also go without saying ... in those conditions it's best to let the bike do its thing and not put too much pressure on the grips .. keep a light hold.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that, Gunny, correct as usual.(even about the old bit) he he...
It seems to me though that the Hurricane is probably the worst road bike you can put down a dirt road, as it's nose heavy, and the all up weight is very high too. If I was running a set of Conti Road Attacks I wouldn't want to take the bike anywhere near a dirt road in the first place.
I've done some dirt on mine, nothing significant, maybe 5 miles of soft stuff each way, and some in the soft mud when there was no choice, but it's not something I enjoyed. I have however taken a GSX1100 with the old skinny tyres down 50 miles of rutted dirt, and back and dropped the pressures as stated before, no problem........but then, it's an old bike, and not as nose-heavy as a Hurri.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?