CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
You're welcome!

googled "water injection for naturally aspirated engines" There's a few good articles about it. Eliminating pinging and de-carbonizing the internals seem to be the main benefit in that application.

There is a kit out there for fuel injected BMW bikes. It looks like the water injectors mount as a second fuel rail on the intake manifold. I'll see if I can find it again
Great, yup steam cleaning the carbon and increasing compression are my main reasons atm to use it also by eliminating ping you could theoretically lower your octane although I never had an issue wit 87 octane (3 honda's and a yamaha as well as 5 jaguars and one beemer besides all the big 3 I've owned).

Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out this page. There's some math near the bottom that may help you

RSR Water Injection Calculator

here's something to ponder. cheaper than Seafoam and you recieve the solvent qualities

When Honda was spending 500 millions dollars a year on their V6 Formula 1 Turbo motors they ran a mixture containing 84% Toluene (114 Octane). It has excellent anti-detonation properties and increases your octane rating. If you are running 92 octane pump gasoline and you add this stuff, your octane rating will be changed by the formula:
[(Quarts Gas x 92) + (Quarts Toluene x 114)] / (Quarts Gasoline + Quarts Toluene).
For example, if you add one quart Toluene to four gallons of gasoline, your Octane will increase onr point from 92 to 93. Add two quarts to four gallons and you get an Octane rating of 100. For you high boost junkies this is something to ponder. You can buy the product in hardware stores. Xylene has a higher flashpoint (less volatile) and has and octane rating of 117.
Denatured alcohol or methanol can be added in a 50/50 mix in our water injection systems.

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Check out this page. There's some math near the bottom that may help you

RSR Water Injection Calculator

here's something to ponder. cheaper than Seafoam and you recieve the solvent qualities

When Honda was spending 500 millions dollars a year on their V6 Formula 1 Turbo motors they ran a mixture containing 84% Toluene (114 Octane). It has excellent anti-detonation properties and increases your octane rating. If you are running 92 octane pump gasoline and you add this stuff, your octane rating will be changed by the formula:
[(Quarts Gas x 92) + (Quarts Toluene x 114)] / (Quarts Gasoline + Quarts Toluene).
For example, if you add one quart Toluene to four gallons of gasoline, your Octane will increase onr point from 92 to 93. Add two quarts to four gallons and you get an Octane rating of 100. For you high boost junkies this is something to ponder. You can buy the product in hardware stores. Xylene has a higher flashpoint (less volatile) and has and octane rating of 117.
Denatured alcohol or methanol can be added in a 50/50 mix in our water injection systems.
THAT was one great read! W0W my mind is still reeling. I read half that site.

I have no intention of getting as radical as those guys. I'm just planning on keeping my engine clean and getting my compression back up.
Thanks a ton for finding that. I'm going to have to read it again when I get into the planning stages.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM

The crux of what i learned about any of that, and i'm not going to do it, is finding the right pump. It can't be rusted by the water and can't be corroded by the methonal, but still deliver the right flow.

The tank they fab'd behind the license plate was pretty trick

tough call

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-19-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

The crux of what i learned about any of that, and i'm not going to do it, is finding the right pump. It can't be rusted by the water and can't be corroded by the methonal, but still deliver the right flow.

tough call
Yes and no, Yes if You wanted to run the system in conjunction with boost and/or turbo but as I have different goals I can run less pressure/flow and still achieve my goals.

Those guys had me cracking up! what a good site!

If you get the time read this one. you'll like it I think.

Turbonique AP supercharger, rocket drag axle and microturbo thrust engine - The Tuners Group

Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM

Interesting. Though what I've read about some some of those early go fast options is that they could deliver some of the gains they promised, they never discounted the premature wear they put on your motor. sometimes with disasterous results

Doubling the HP gains on a 409, a great motor, but known to have weak mains on the crank, would have been a quick 3 fast passes and blow situation.

I've seen the tuners use marine bilge fans in front in the mass air meter as a cheap form of forced induction

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hueristic
I remember those things. The VW Black Widow clocked 9.36 ET at 168 mph in the 1/4 mile but was not so aerodynamic and took off and flew.

Attached Thumbnails Water Injection-turbonique-vw.jpg