CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Vance&Hines SS2R exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance&Hines SS2R exhaust

I'm looking at buying a Vance&Hines SS2R full exhaust for my '88 'cane. I like the oval canister on the system, and I looked the system up in one of my parts books. Overall the whole system looks like a pretty good setup. Does anyone have this exhaust on their bike? I noticed in mt parts book it has a cut-away of the can and it has an internal baffle along with fiberglass packing. I know this exhaust will be very deep toned. But how loud is it on a rating of 1 to 10? (1 being quiet and 10 being straight pipes.) I don't want this bike to be annoyingly loud, just deeper, and I personally don't like the looks of dual cans. I put a devilbikes carbon race can on my ninja and you almost have to wear earplugs. I don't want the 'cane to be that loud. Also I know some exhaust, you have to remove the center stand, and/or it causes blockage to the drain plug. Does this system have any of these downfalls? Thanks guys! This site has been alot of help.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Default RE: Vance&Hines SS2R exhaust

i know the vance and hines exhaust lets you keep the center stand but i haven't managed to find a sound clip of it yet

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You will loose engine trackability at lower RPM with a most full 4-1 systems. The V&H pipe is more for full proformance and will be louder than I think you are looking for.

https://cbrforum.com/m_159127/tm.htm

Old 10-02-2006, 10:49 PM

Hey guys. I just installed the SSR2 on my 94. I'm doing a lot of other work on my bike at the moment so I haven't had a change to fire it up yet. I'll post some pics if I can find where I put them and once I get her fired up I'll record a nice clip and post it, if someone doesn't beat me to it (as it might be a week or two till I can fire it up). I'm keeping my center stand and if thats what you want I would recommend this system, it was designed for this bike, it fits perfectly and includes the braket for stoping the center stand.

Here is a good side pic.
Name:  IMG_5511.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  93.3 KB

Here is the rest of the gallery if you are interested (I update it pretty regularly)

Rebuild

MDFF

Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM

mdfirefighter... How'd you like the old yosh' pipe on your bike before you started your rebuild? I guess that's what it is. The tags on it look like yosh' tags. I have the opportunity to buy a yosh' pipe also. I do a lot of e-bay watching. LOL.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 PM

I'm an ebay lurker too since I started my "rebuild" trying to find any good plastic for these guys is a PAIN! I think that the last owner(s) wrecked bad and most of the plastic was help on with zip ties! Thats why most of my other pictures are of fiberglass rebuilding, sanding, and painting.

The old pipe was not that great. The guy(s) who owned this bike before me treated this bike like crap and the exhaust took a lot of the hate. It is rusted out in spots and sounded like crap. (Used to live and got it in CO; looks like they took it out in the salt and didn't wash it off.) I'm sure it sounded ok in its day but I never heard it. Power was really nice and I hope to get some of the zip back with this new system. As I have never riden this bike with a 4-2 I don't know any difference.

On a side note the old exhaust does NOT allow the center stand to remain on the bike (so the last owner(s) chucked it; the one you see there is an Ebay nab). I really wanted it back so that swayed my decision big time.

MDFF

Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 AM

I have this exhaust on my bike. It sounds deep and VERY good, but its also very loud. Although I've never heard a stock 1KF so I have nothing to base that on, the exhaust came with the bike.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 PM

I have the V&H system on my 90 CBR. It is loud and not as deep throated as you would expect. My engine is not as responsive below 3,000 rpm but absolutely rips above that. It is something I've gotten used to. I was going to get rid of my system and go back to stock pipes, but have changed my mind. The pipes give the bike alot of character, as if it needs anymore. I also get around 200 miles a tankfull without going to reserve, and that's riding hard. Hope this helps. Don