CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

##UPDATED##overheating after service

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ##UPDATED##overheating after service

I turned in my darling in for service 2 months ago, and was pretty satisfied until 2 weeks ago, when I felt the brake handle needed to be pumped a couple of times to feel firm. I suppose the mecanics was´nt able to get all air bleeded out as they changed brake fluid. Today I was getting the bike ready for winter storage and turned off the fuel petcock and let the engine run until the carburators runned dry. I did checked it a couple of times, and third time I did I notice rather strong heat from the engine, checked the temp gauge, RED ZONE, oh no, turned the engine off and ignition on again, no fan sound... only boiling sound. Luckally I was in time so the boiling was pretty mild, not boiling over. Now the question: Could this have anything to do with the service? I mean, they did change coolant liquid, is it neccesary (spelling?) to remove the fan switch cables to do this, maybe they forgot to attach these again? I am certain the fan worked before the service. I did´nt have time to check the cables and did´nt know where the switch was, as I don´t store the bike at my place and therefore did´nt have access to the service manual pdf. I just hope the overheating did´nt damage anything.
The picture is how the bike looked today, before winter storage. Hopefully a few things will be changed in the spring.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: overheating after service

That is a sweet looking 1KF!
I would first check the fan fuse. It might have blown. If so then you will need to figure out why it blew.
If the fuse didn't blow, then check your coolant level. If the coolant isn't up as high as the switch, then it will never come on. Also check and make sure that the wires to the switch didn't get disconnected. It's right inside the fairing and if you have to remove the fairing, one wire could get pulled off the post. If all those are okyy, meter the switch and see what the resistance is. The shop manual will tell you the procedure. If it's bad, then replace it.
The switch doesn't have to be removed to change the coolant, and it sits right inside the upper left fairing at the top of the radiator. Easy to get to.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM
October 2009 ROTM

Hey Captain! Thanks for a fast reply and the sweettalking I will check all you listed, but not now, I´m working in the neighbor country Norway and will be at work all week. Will check when I get home. I´m able to view this forum from my mobile phone but I can´t reply, so please don´t think that I´m ignoring anyone that replys in this thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I were you the first thing I would check is the level. Pull the right inspection plate off of the faring that is just inside of the flat section of the faring just below the right handle bar. It will expose the radiator cap. Check to see if the level is up. The shop may not have let it run long enough so that the thermostat opened alowing the coolant to enter the engine. Still you shoul hear the fan if it heats up.

Is that a GIVI wing rack?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

It sounds like you got a plan, check fan connection , check fuse, check coolant level, if all checks good the the fan might be suspect. Also if this is all good the temp sensor may be bad. good luck and keep us posted on what it was.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:46 AM

Sounds like your fan is not automatically kicking in when it should. Assuming it was running in a stationery position for a long period of time. BTW how long was it running for before you noticed the problem? It should not be a major problem if it does not overheat when your bike is on the go. I used to have this problem on my 93 Kawasaki ZX600E turns out it has a faulty fan switch. I was running the bike for bout 3 months before I noticed the fan did not work. I was caught in a heavy traffic jam when things started to boil.

By the way, I am having my 94 CBR 1000 F painted to your colour scheme which I believe is a 96-97 colour scheme. I am facing a dilema. Can you or anybody else in the forum kindly tell me if the white bits are white or silver? I have downloaded lots of pictures from the net and some looked white and some look silver or is it a blend of both? Can seem to make it out. Perhaps someone might know the colour codes for it.

Thanks kindly

Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
October 2009 ROTM

UPDATE!
Took the first ride after the winter today[8D] The spungy brakes were easy to bleed out the air, took care of that problem.
But now the bike doesn´t run well on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, it doesn´t bog or anything like that, it´s very crisp on throttle and runs like a demon on higher revs, it kinda feels like it´s not getting enough gas or not burning the fuel right. The spark plugs are on the lighter colour scale, the mecanic said so too when it was on service this fall. I´ve installed a slip-on since then, could this have increased the lean burning into noticable? The other idea I have is that water has contaminated the fuel over the winter, causing bad fuel burn?

When I got back, I checked the fan switch while I was checking the spark plugs, and grounded the wire to the switch, no fan running[:@] The fuse was blown, replaced it and tried again, fuse died again[:@][:@] Seems like my fan motor died Luckily the climate here isn´t too warm, I will try to make due without the fan until I can disassemble it and see whats wrong. Anyone had trouble with the fan motor on your CBR 1KF before? Help?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Sounds like ther is a short somewhere. Follow the wires and look for any pinched ones, or bare wire.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM
October 2009 ROTM

Yeah, thanks msummers2, will do so. I had that thought too, thinking also if something could be in the way, keeping the fan from spinning?

Anyone have any ideas about my uneven midrange? This is my plan as of now: Drain old gas/refill with new. Add carb cleaner. Adjust pilot screws. Raise needles? Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: mikekop

Yeah, thanks msummers2, will do so. I had that thought too, thinking also if something could be in the way, keeping the fan from spinning?

Anyone have any ideas about my uneven midrange? This is my plan as of now: Drain old gas/refill with new. Add carb cleaner. Adjust pilot screws. Raise needles? Any ideas?
To start with,drain gas tank and the carbsfuel bowls by opening the screw on each of them and try with fresh fuel. Then run the engine until it becomes fully warm.Check the need for less or more fuel by gradually engaging the choke when you are in the weak rpm segment and see what happens. If it shows to run better with some choke, the needles should be raised one M3 flatwasher thickness at a time until it runs good. You could alsotry opening the fuel mixture screw half a turn if it runs lean, or turn it in half a turn if it runs rich.What confuses me a little is that it runs very even and cleanas you said, that could be an indication of to much fuel. If above doesn't help, it may be time to open the carbs and give them a good clean.

Quick Reply: ##UPDATED##overheating after service