CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Unsure of the best course of action (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/unsure-best-course-action-37154/)

jim 04-24-2007 06:20 PM

Unsure of the best course of action

I have a 96 cbr1000f and it needs some work done.

I have asked a few mechanics for a quote on a full service and they advise it will cost around £500, and when I ask for a quote to include the cam chain and CC tensioner to be replaced they come back with quotes around the £750 amount! [>:]

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me ofapproximatelyhow much it will cost to geta full service includingreplacing theshims and balancing the carbsas wellas replacingthe Cam chain and CCtensioner?

I got a feeling I might end up doing this myself but if it works out to be a reasonable amount I would much prefer to pay a professional to do it.

Thanks in advance

Jim :)

ducati_nolan 04-24-2007 06:37 PM

RE: Unsure of the best course of action

I have no idea how to replace the cam chain, but the tensioner should be easy. I've seen instructions for other bikes on installing a manual tensioner and it looked like no big deal. Also I was just looking through the repair manual and it looks like the valve adjusters are threaded with a lock nut, so you shouldn't need any shims and it should be fairly easy to do yourself.

jim 04-24-2007 06:52 PM

Hi ducati_nolan

Thanks for the advice :D

Does it mention in your repair manual if the valves/tappets are hydraulic/oil filled?

I agree the work does look straight forward but you know what "they" say about best laid plans going to waste! whenever Ido thesejobs there is always somethingthat go'swrong that Iwasn’t counting on, I guess that’s half the fun butin retrospect Iwouldprefer to pay someone else for the enjoyment.

Cheers again mate [sm=smiley20.gif]

Dean0 04-25-2007 06:21 AM

The tappets on the 1000F are as stated above "screw & locknut" - easy to adjust yourself.

Just make sure you get hold of the HONDA box spanner for the tappets first - It makes the job so much easier to do.

jim 04-25-2007 06:06 PM

The information has finally sunk in, the tappets are "screw & locknut" :D

I had a good look through this forum and managed to get the PDF manual what has made things allot clearer and it has also helped me todecide against paying a workshop to replace my cam chain and tensioner as well as givingmy bike afull service, they were asking nearly £1000!It’s there loss for being so greedy [:-]

Cheers

Jim

blue2 04-26-2007 05:35 PM

Jim

are you in the UK. if so send me a A private message. will send you some info.