CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tyre safe- to add or not to add

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre safe- to add or not to add

I had a new front tyre fitted while away on holiday and asked for some tyre-safe to be added. I have it in the back tyre which I replaced about 1000 miles ago after having a high speed puncture in the rear a while back. (the tyre, not my ***!)
I got an email from the bike shop a couple of days into my holiday saying that they'd had a few complaints from a few customers about vibration at speeds over 100 MPH when added to the front tyre.
After a little pondering I wrote back saying that I'd rather have the peace of mind and have the tyre safe added. If I had any bad vibes as a result I'd have it taken out.
I picked her up on Saturday morning and went straight out for a ride to scrub the new rubber in for a few miles and see if there was any truth in the bad vibe complaints.
90 miles of nice easy riding on small twisty roads and enjoying being back on her again, I decided to get on the motorway and see how things shaped up at higher speeds.
At first I thought it was road surface. Bumps seemed to became long washboard-like surfaces.
I should at this point also mention that I had the fork seals replaced too so the front end was working at it's optimum and felt better than since I've owned her.
After a while I narrowed the vibration down to any speed between 98 and 115.
When I say vibration I'm not talking about a little buzzing. I mean that if my wing mirrors were wing shaped I'd have taken off like a frigging pigeon or a bumble bee. It felt like someone was trying to violently rip the front wheel off
I rode through the speed range several times and well above it right up to red line on some lovely long straights. Wooooooooo hoooooooooo!!!!! No problem at the top end at all.

Next Saturday, it's coming straight out again. There's no way I'm living with that. Ruination right in the pleasure band. Like having your g-spot surgically removed.

So, anyone else had an experience of this with sealant in the front tyre? What do think of the pro's and cons.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi I had it put in the tyres on my goldwing and did'nt have that sort of problem. I know your gonna say they don't go fast enough, but I ride it fast and hard. regularly over 100, aint I a bad lad. Had a rear wheel puncture, despite the hipe about it keeping the tyre pressure stable. It works but does allow the pressure out like a slow puncture. This I could live with. Wish I'd had it ithe cbr a few weeks ago it would have save the slide along the road on it's side and the pain of bouncing on the tarmac. Will try it when the cbr's back on the road and see how that behaves. Will let you know what I find then.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Bad luck Wolf. That's sounds nasty. I hope you haven't picked any nasty long term rash.
I'd be interested to see what you think of the guck in your CBR front when you get her back on the road.
Opinions on this seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Ah well, perhaps it's just me. Maybe I should put on weight or something.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I was wearing good quallity leather and they did there job well. It was lucky I'd slowed do for the roundabout, just started to bank it in and bang. No where to go but down on her side and slide 10 feet. I will let you know how it goes with the goo when she is back on the road as I do go over the ton regularly. As I said in the wing it had now affect on the handling. Perhaps it was the wieght of the thing cos it aint l no light wieght.