CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tyre Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tyre Leak

Hey does anyone have an opinion on those Tyre weld products? I have already used three string plugs to patch another puncture so I'm wondering if i spray some of that stuff on the inside of the Tyre could it stop the slow leak? its a brand new Tyre so I would like to save it if possible.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not recommended to plug bike tyres but I once had a plug done at a shop that patched from the inside with like a nipple through the hole. Basically it has to be inserted from the inside. The tyre was almost new so I wasn't going to throw it away. I never had a problem with it after plugging. The dude from Bob Jane at the top of Elizabeth st in Melbourne in the bike tyre department said most shops don't recommend plugging but he's confident in them holding up. I watched him do it and he made sure the area is stupidly clean so that the patch glue holds well. Ask around and save yourself from using the dodgy plugged from the outside type. I wouldn't continue riding a bike with those in my tyres, only for emergencies.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 AM

I'd always worry about anything just plugged from the outside, as pepperman said, they are really only an emergency repair. The spray in products might be ok but I'd still be concerned using them as a permanent fix on a bike that gets ridden fast.

IMO the only way to fix it properly is to get the tyre taken off, and a proper repair patch put on from the inside. Going into a fast corner, pushing on the bars and flopping the beast over, only to find you're down 10 or 20 psi in one tyre just isn't a variable I'd be comfortable with. There's lots of **** out there that you have no control over, why add to the list?

My 2c mate.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a bit of a search with no success but good 'ol ebay came through. These look very similar to what my tyre was repaired with.
5 x 3mm MOTORCYCLE TYRE REPAIR PLUGS FREEPOST UK | eBay

Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
There's lots of **** out there that you have no control over, why add to the list?

My 2c mate.
good point there Dave..i would make sure tire isn't leaking before getting too confident..i just wonder if the spray thing will seal the tiniest air passage..but i will get it done properly from the inside.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have already had three plugs installed, if it were me I would pull the tire off and put inside patches on the leaks. Those patches that pepperman linked, I have heard work well. There is a tool that pushes the round disk part in and then you pull it up against the puncture and end up with an inside patch. I believe there is a glue or sealer that you apply before inserting the patch and drawing it up. You would need to purchase the repair kit with the tools to make the patches work.

I plan on getting the Stop-N-Go tire plugger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCrRXYWm1Hg

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the tyre foam on other tyres than my bike, and all it has done is go hard inside the tyre and then u can't put any air thru the valve! **** stuff imo..

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've not had an inside patch fail - Murphy always makes sure I have a flat with a new tyre, so fixing them is normal.
I have also used the "string" type plugs with tyre goo. Once ran one for the entire life of the tyre and it didn't leak.
A mate of mine once fixed a flat with ordinary string (thick) and a tube of Plybond and a star screwdriver....

Front tyres are a different story as Steve-o says. I've been told that the front tyre will "stand a screw or nail up" so that it goes in the rear tyre - can't prove this theory, but.....

Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I've not had an inside patch fail - Murphy always makes sure I have a flat with a new tyre, so fixing them is normal.
I have also used the "string" type plugs with tyre goo. Once ran one for the entire life of the tyre and it didn't leak.
A mate of mine once fixed a flat with ordinary string (thick) and a tube of Plybond and a star screwdriver....

Front tyres are a different story as Steve-o says. I've been told that the front tyre will "stand a screw or nail up" so that it goes in the rear tyre - can't prove this theory, but.....

hey shadow.. thks for the info man. i had three separate punctures on the last tyre still 85% new, i got rid of it a got a new tyre, then 5 days after a strange metal object like an old tool bit straight through the centre of the tyre, so i plugged it with up to 3 stringy gooi things and its still micro leaking, so i thought it might help if i sprayed the tyre weld from the inside might just stop it..but it looks like ill have to wait till sat morn to get it done properly..sucks .. punctures can become really costly..and worse of all the weather has been nice..cold and crispy but nice to keep engine feeling like a young girl again ..lol

Quick Reply: Tyre Leak