CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbo

Hello everyone. Just joined the site and wanted to share my experience with turboing the '88 Hurricane. I used a Mitsubishi 14b from a first gen DSM(talon), intercooler from a turbo Sprint, and the blow off valve is from a Saab 900s. I used a Holley "blue" electric fuel pump and a Mallory 4 port rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

I have also put the 90+ rear rim on the back, inverted '97 GSXR 750 forks/brakes/wheel on the front. Lots of other stuff but in the end it made 172hp on the dyno.

Here's a link to the site my brother made up for me:

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/bmacph/h...e/hurindex.htm

Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 AM

Very creative and well done! Always nice to see a person doing things on a budget by good knowledge and notspending big money on simple bought power. What type of A/F meter are you using?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM

That is pretty impressive man!! How fast is she?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great,for a 1000f... but dead meat in the land of "blasts away anything", muchless other turbos...
Free and clean, Ripp'n

Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 PM

I never said it was the fastest thing on 2 wheels by any means. But considering I'm the only person who has turbo'd a bike in my area I am pretty well known and I have no problem chasing just about anything down. I weigh approx 230lbs, and the bike only got heavier with the turbo install so it's no lightweight. I still totally destroyed my friend's ZX12 on the highway though, and made 20 more HP than anyone else on the Dyno Day we had. Considering it started with about 110 at the wheels and it made 172 with my ghetto turbo install I'm not disappointed.

I'm using an Autometer Ultralight AF/boost/ and fuel pressure guage. It also has a Wiseco 1049cc big bore kit. I used 4 base gaskets under the cylinders to bring the compression down a bit, since the Wiseco kit brought it up to 12:1. I get some knock on the highway in 6th, but it survives. Think i burnt a valve last year though. Gotta rip it apart.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Is it the A/F meter thenarrow band or wide band oxygen sensor type?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM

It's just a narrow band one, I don't use it for tuning, more just for being able to tell which side of the fence I am on when it starts to act up. More of a troubleshooting tool, and it has helped immensly many times. I pretty much keep it pegged one bar off full rich just to keep the engine together, if it drops below that I know i have a fuel delivery problem( also works as a "you have approx 500 feet of driving left before you run out of gas" gauge lol). The way I have the float bowls pressurized allows me to run almost stock jetting, it uses the dynamic air pressure in the pipes to increase float bowl pressure slightly above boost creating a richer mixture only when it is needed. For a carb setup it works really well, although I have been looking at the Megasquirt.. or more specifically the "minisquirt". My brother built one for his 300ZX(he has a 350 small block twin turbo) and it works great. He had a horrible time trying to blow through the carb on it... full of flat spots and crazy rich/lean conditions. Here's a link to his project:

http://badtasteproductions.com/forum...sc&start=0

Old 06-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Hmm, I'm almost keen to turboize the Blackbird. Not that it is desperately needed, it delivers 153 rwhp on an Eddy Current dyno, that reads about 10% less than the usual Dynojet 250 dyno. But still, there is nothing like turbo power. I have had cars with turbo before, and did a mistake seven years ago and bought a brand new Volvo S70 -00 without turbo. Every time it was used it reminded me of what I was missing...The nest time I bought a new Volvo S60 T5 -02 with the 250 hp turbo engine. I was at home again. After a year it was chipped to 300 hp and is now so versatile and good performing that I hope I can keep it forever. I guess it is the same with bikes, once you have been spoiled with the enormous torque at a broad rpm range it feels bad to ride a normal bike. The Bird should handle 200 rwhp turbo horses without reliability problems I guess, it is a sturdy machine, as the CBR 1000 F also is. There is a company here in Sweden that is well reputed http://www.mc-xpress.com/ But I see your achievement as something far better than just to buy an expensive kit, and it must be a great pleasure to achieve what you have done.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Actually my next project was to get a CBR 900 frame and put an 1100xx motor in it and turbo it. I had a link to a guy who did it, they make over 200 hp easy. I could hit over 200 as well, but my initial manifold designs are restrictive. I need more plenum area in front of the carbs, as well as less restriction in the exhaust. My dyno graph showed that the hp was climbing incredibly fast, but flatlined early. It made 73 hp at 5000 rpm, and 172 hp at 7000 rpm lol... but it stayed at 172 till redline. That tells me there is a weak link somewhere.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Yes I could see in the pictures that the shape of theplenum and exhaust looked like they came from an old Ford model T :-) That also made me convinced that a turbo is the right way to go. If the engine deliver more than 170 rwhp with anintake and anexhaust that are not optimized, it shows that it is not necessary to spend a lot of time or money on such stuff since a simple solution that is easy to fabricate also shows towork far better than I have been aware of. Not meening to discredit your intake and exhaust, they seem to be well fabricated, but getting rid of the 90 degree turns would as you saybe even better.

Quick Reply: turbo