CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Totally dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Totally dead

Hi, hope someone can help.

CBR1000F-L. A couple of weeks ago, after the really cold weather here in the UK, I took her out of the garage, and after a few minutes of turning over (lack of fuel in the pipes?) she did start up and ran really sweetly.

Today, with a charged battery, I started her up again. All I got was a loud click then the idiot lights went out. Did this three times, then completely dead. Checked the fuses, OK. Checked the main 30A fuse, OK, but the connector behind it (starter relay?) wasn't. Of the four pins, the outside front one had melted the plastic.

Is it the starter motor? If so, easy to remedy?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Starter motor relay I think. Not too difficult, just put it in the right way round...........
(sorry, local joke)
Also check your battery - these bikes need a fully charged battery to start.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 PM
hmm
Default Totally Dead - change of status

Sorry for the involved story below, but this is what happened today.

After yesterday's shock at the bike being totally dead, with eventually no starter relay click or idiot lights, I tried again today. Got idiot lights and click, but after each click the idiot lights went out, at which point loosening the positive terminal screw of the battery made the lights flicker on and off. Tightening the screw again brought the lights back, but attempting to start gave the click and the lights went out. Sometimes, when I started with the clutch lever in, I still got the click and the lights went out, but they came back on when I let the clutch lever out again.

Then out of desperation I sprayed WD40 into the starter motor area, and into the 4-pin relay block, and guess what - the starter began to work! My soul fluttered... I tried for a few minutes, but I guess there was no fuel getting through. She almost started but then - sod's law - the battery died.

Anyone any ideas why the lights go on and off? Why the clutch lever had an effect? Why the WD40 seemed to help? I'm hoping that after a few days' charge the battery will have enough juice to finally get her going. Is there a way to get fuel to the carbs manually?

Thanks for reading...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM

There is a switch on the clutch lever that will prevent you starting the bike if it's in gear and you don't have the clutch in.

To get fuel to the carbs, you need to create a vacuum in the hose attached to the left side of the leftmost carb. If you suck on it (at the carb end) fuel will flow into the carbs and she should run. The petcock has a fuel shutoff if there's no vacuum.........

Sounds like bad connections on the electrics, and a weak battery.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 AM

Hey Pete ... chuck yu Skype on yu bugger
yu harder to get hold of than a sausage in a bucket a grease!!

All my skype details are on the other computer.Gimme a shout Steve-o

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
hmm

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
These old girls are very temperamental when the battery is just low , let alone dies or is in its last death throws ...
Thanks for this advice; the battery is pretty new. When I tried to start her a few weeks ago it took ages and ages (fuel starvation) but the battery did its job and she did eventually start. I think it's probably a bad connection somewhere. When I put the battery back on charge again I noticed some white deposits on the nut under the positive terminal. Could be that I suppose.

Is it OK to use copper grease on the terminals?

Thanks folks

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Yes, clean the terminals and use copper compound, grease, vaseline, preparation H, (then you can "pile" on the miles), and not get a sore **** too...........hehe

Check all your electrical connections, not good to be stuck on the road.............

Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had problems similar to that and it did end up being the positive terminal on the battery. When I routinely check all my fluids now, i check the battery terminal tightness too.