CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tools and spare parts on holidays

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools and spare parts on holidays

My friend and I, with wifes, are going for a trip to Normandy in 2½ weeks.

What kind of tools and spare parts for the bikes should we bring along ?

Is there anything in particular we should pay attention to on a trip like this (4000 km) ?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Default RE: Tools and spare parts on holidays

Though the stock tool kit on the CBR is quite good compared to other bikes, I still like to throw in a few extras. Such as some electrical tape, and some locking pliers, like vise grips. Also an assortment of plastic wire tie wraps. Ewan and Charley held the broken rear frames on their GS's together with these on the Long Way Round 8-)
Another thing is a tire plugging kit such as the Stop-n-Go kit. If there is room a small 12v compressor, if there isn't room some of the CO2 cartridges will get enough air in the tire to get you to a pump or repair shop.
I also carry a small first aid kit along with some asprin or ibuprofen, or something like that.
Probably the two most important things in reality are a cell phone and a credit card.

Have fun, and don't forget the pictures and ride report!

Old 07-03-2006, 10:37 PM

make sure your tires and chain are in decent shape before you leave, some chain oil is good to have, a rag or two

what I found I needed (I don't have the stock toolkit) is the following

4mm allen key
multibit screwdriver
10, 12, 14mm wrenches
Crescent wrench big enough to loosen rear axle
electrical tape and zap straps
tire patch/plug kit

not part of the toolkit, but remember some paper towels and windex/glass cleaner for your visors and sunglasses

Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 AM

In my tank bag, I always carry a freezer bag that doesn't leak. I put a soft wet washcloth in it to wash the helmet sheild. then I carry a bandana or ripped cotton t-shirt to dry off. The ibuprofen or aspirin is good. Ear plugs are great for cutting out wind noise over time that might contribute to a fatigue headache and it really does great for just general fatigue prevention. My brother and I did 1,046 miles in 3 days across 4 states and it helped.

Although I trust my chain, I also carry an extra master link with the clip type just incase. That crescent wrench is a great idea in the event you have to use it to raised the rear tire to get the axle back in. The C02 catridges are a great idea too, as long as you don't do what I did and forget the adapter to fit the valve stem.

Last but not least, I always carry 2 or 3 pair of medical gloves so if I do have to do something to the bike, my hands aren't all cruddy dirty especially when we stop for dinner or lunch.

Enjoy the tour!

ps- don't forget about the 8mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive rachet with an extension in case you want to adjust your suspension for road specific conditions.