CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

synthetic oil, true or false???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: synthetic oil, true or false???

I must have been typing while andrewmr was posting because it looks like we agree on alot of the same things.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: canadianF4i

I must have been typing while andrewmr was posting because it looks like we agree on alot of the same things.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Great minds think alike ....

Old 09-11-2006, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: chesthing

This oil discussion made me think to check the oil - it's been 2,500 miles since changing it, and I had to add 2/3 quart! I went and bought some $8 mobil 1 fully syn motorcycle oil tonite and replaced the dino oil - I'm not used to owning a vehicle that uses oil and am hoping this will stop it. Who knows, maybe I'll change my opinion - if it uses it at the same rate I'll definately go back.
Dude, Why would you put $6 a qt. oil in something that leakes or burn's it. This will NOT stop the leak. If anything it will get worse. I use Amsoil in my bikes and my 4x4. I have found it will help keep my bikes running cooler. When you go syn. You need to buy an oil filter to match it. I know a fram filter will f@^k up in 500 miles or less. In the cold weather we have here in the Rockies it dosen't get thick over nite and starts oiling much faster than standard oil will. I use syn. grease in my transfer case and the pumpkins in my 4x4, and can tell a great difference
My 2 cents, bt

Old 09-12-2006, 03:32 AM

What would the forums opinion be on that Lucas oil stabilizer. Just curious.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Hey BackTalk just been lookin at the pics of your ride, its in good nick, is that original or you done stuff to it, how many k's/miles???

Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: peterk

Hey BackTalk just been lookin at the pics of your ride, its in good nick, is that original or you done stuff to it, how many k's/miles???
Thanks for the props. It is bone stock and I just turned 54,000 miles. I have a cam chain tensioner giving me a little problem now. I will replace it this week.
BT

Old 12-25-2006, 02:37 AM

There is alot of info on the net. Synthetic oils hold up to in high temperatures, they maintain there weight qualitys better. I have actually done oil studies to increase oil change intervals using synthetic on a Dodge Intrepid I use to own, it could go 6k miles with no significant wear metals, dilution, water, and still had additive left. Try doing that with mineral oil, only old ladies would do such a thing.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 AM

For about $60 you can find out for CERTAIN if Synthetic Oil is for you.

1. Run ya favourite Dino Oil for 5000k's
2. Drain Oil and take sample to testing Lab that does testing for fleets etc (Costs about $30)
3. They will give you a report on Viscosity breakdown, contaminates etc.
4. Run Synthetic for5000k's
5. Test again and compare results.

If results are a massive difference that you are hard on oil and need to switch to synthetic. If there is little difference than you can be safe in the knowledqe that you can run Dino.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:56 PM

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I used this place. $20 for normal tests, extra $10 for TBN (measures additives left, good for helping out on extending your intervals). Pretty nice because, they will email the results immediately, turn around is 1-2 once they recieve the sample.

Read their Technical Articles! Useful info, possibly can be considered not biased (ehem, Amsoil, ehem).

Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM

I have used plain old 20 W 50 on my 92 but the clutch slipped a fair bit at 7 grand so went to semi synthetic 10 W 40 and havtn looked back. Just got back froma 5,000 Kl trip motor was a bit noisy so dropped the oil yesterday and refilled with Semi Syn and rattles gone

Quick Reply: synthetic oil, true or false???