CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still won't start

Okay, it's me again, for those of you who helped me a few months ago. I've finally gotten my life arranged to where I can work on the bike. I ordered and installed the reg/rec, but it did not fix the problem. The bike turns over, but will not start. I can't roll start it. I even got towed by a truck on my way back up the hill and couldn't get the bike to fire while being pulled. Any ideas would be appreciated. The bike has been sitting in my garage since Jan 1, the last day it started. I can rehash the history if necessary.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Default RE: Still won't start

Have you got spark

Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, Devildog !- good to see you're still around
Check for spark-take a plug out and spin the motor (earth the plug, don't hold it)
Check fuel flow
Check your run/kill switch......
Check for mice nesting inside your airbox, restricting airflow........(It's happened before)
If all are OK, bike SHOULD run..... (if the carbs aren't all gummed up)

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM

I had someone else recommend checking for wasps in the carbs/fuel line. Specifically what am I looking for when I turn the motor with a spark plug out? I've never had someone suggest I do that before. I assume I'll be watching to see if there's a visible spark on the end of the plug? And I should just let the plug and wire rest on the bike frame for grounding when testing this?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:51 AM

additionally, the regulator was not the device making the clicking noise on my bike. I replaced it and the noise continued, so I went in further search and it's the vaguely cylindrical object directly in front of it. Maybe the alternator and I'm an idiot? I can't find it precisely in the manual and I thought one of you might know what i"m talking about.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 AM

Vaguely cylindrical object in front of the reg/ rec ? Nothing cylindrical I can recall in front of the reg/rec - can you take a pic of it ? Not the stator, surely ? Clicking sounds more like a starter solenoid .......? Same side of the frame, or other side ?
And yes, earthing the plug against the frame/engine is to check for spark...........
Also, check your sidestand switch to make sure the mice haven't eaten the wires (also happened to a Forum member recently)

Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 AM

Okay, honestly, I'm so unfamiliar with the size, layout, etc of the parts on the bike that I'm not sure what I"m talking about. It's immediately in front of the reg, it's about 6 inches long and maybe 2 in diameter, there are 2, 1/2 inch maybe,rubber hoses running to it and electricals running all around it, but i don't think directly to it. I didn't really try to pull it off and examine it. It's black plastic in nature. It actually is vibrating as it creates the sound. And I don't think the side stand switch has ever worked on this bike. I've always been able to start it with the stand up or down, and I've never seen the side stand indicator light on in either position. I think it's been cut out of the loop, but i'll check it nevertheless. I'm relatively certain someone raced this bike somewhere in its history, so it's hard telling the parts that have been modded, removed, etc. I'm going to be working on it saturday morning and afternoon so if this part never sounds familiar I'll take a pic of it and load it on here for you.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Those sound like a FUEL PUMP, Ddog - ? Is your bike an 87/88 - they were the only 1000's with a fuel pump ?
If so, turn on the ignition and see by removing the hose which goes to the carbies, if you're getting fuel flow (other pipe goes to the tank I think) If it's not pumping, or the filter's blocked - no fuel to carbs = no start (hope it's that simple)