CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Starving for Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starving for Fuel

Ok, this happpened once, about 2-3wks ago. It was an isolated incident, so i didn't think too much of it. However, it happened twice already today.

I let it sit for over 1hr, jump on, fire it up, head down the road, and....stalll.
It didn't do it this morning on my way to work, but it did it after sitting for about 1hr, and it did it again on my way to lunch.
The fuel is just cutting off. Like a vapor lock or something.
The first time a couple weeks ago, and the first time today, itrecovered. Second time, Iactually had to pull over and **** around choking it and such (several times) until it finally took off.
Any ideas? Very annoying.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starving for Fuel

I can think of several things. Fuel pump or relay on their way out or if it's hot where you are possibly fuel vaporising. My bike did the same thing a couple of times when I first got it. Once when it was very hot weather & once when it was very cold after night shift. I think It was a Dicky kill switch. I also had a bike once that burnt a fuse but with vibration the ends would touch & re weld until the next big bump. Took months to find. Hope you sort it out soon. Nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the road.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks for the reply, bluebeard (another good vonnegut book, by the way)
It is hot here. About 80F or so. Not terribly hot. What does"fuel vaporising" actuallymean? I mean, I know what it means, but how would it happen and where?
I'm gonna take a look at everything tonight. If anybody else has had any similar experiences, or even possible solutions let me know.

I was wondeing if maybe the vent wasn't workig properly? Where is the vent on these? I know I read another post by somebody (can't remember who) who mentioned adding a vent to these tanks after you remove the PAIR emissions crap. Think that may have something to do with it? Not really sure what he meant.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be vent pipe/s running out from under your tank - maybe blocked ?
I had a similar thing happen a while ago - hasn't happened again - hope it's not catching-
I still don't know what caused it.....
I suspected the ignition switch, but have discounted that.
When I choked mine, it started right up so maybe something to do with vacuum to the fuel petcock ?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator - Retired

Some good ideas, shadow. I'm thinking the same thing. Vent/vacuum. I rode about 16miles home and it didn'tdo it. It almost has to be fuel because itonly does it after sitting a bit,and just after start up.
I turned off the fuel last time I let it sit (about 2 hrs), and then turned it back on when i went to ride. No problem.

As far as the vent, there is a smallhose coming off the right hand side of the tank that hooks to another tube that goes down around the motor. This must be the vent. I'm wondering if I should just unhook it from wherever it goes. I'm thinking it's routed into that whole emissions mess that was on the bike before. I heard somewhere that the fumes were supposed to be captured and burnt, so maybe it goes in under the carbs or airbox or something? I don't know.
The only other tubes are the fuel line and vacuum line on the petcock.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll lift my tank and take a pic of the hoses after "emission gutting" - I suspect the hose you're talking about should be connected into the carbs, but I'll make sure. I've injured my foot, so am hobbling at the moment - can't get a boot on, aaaargh -and it's Saturday[:@]