CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Split exhaust bolt receiver on manifold

Old 07-29-2017, 04:23 AM
Question Split exhaust bolt receiver on manifold

Not sure if that is the correct terminology! But anyway, one of the receivers on the main engine body that the exhaust bolts go into has split, normally I'd weld it, but its aluminium, so can I just use metal epoxy and a jubilee style clip to hold it together enough for the bolt to hold?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Not sure where your talking about here, but could you tap it out to receive larger bolt. Like I said not sure of position, but if there's not enough "meat" around it and its one of those random tabs off a casing then could you support the hole both sides with washers to clamp it.
I'm probably way off here and an image of the issue would help greatly. Metal epoxy will be temporary and pretty short lived in my experience. And it stinks of fish when it gets hot !!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Welcome to the forum addis.
Two things,
(1) When epoxy gets hot it looses its hold. You heat the hosel of a golf club to relax the epoxy to get the shaft out is an example.
(2) How would a jubilee style clip hold a head pipe to the head in a way not to have a leak?

Maybe JB Weld instead. I don't know how it would hold up to heat.

Like wes says a photo would be help.