CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

SOOOO aggravating!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SOOOO aggravating!!!!

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

Hey all fellow CBR lovers,

Im back! I havent posted in a while. But I am back indeed. I think me & a 1000 other posters have posted about a noisy chain. Well from reading around here I determined it was probably the cam chain tensioner (yes sorry for this over populated subject) well.. lets just say I was a little worried to do the work myself. So I took the bike to my local Honda dealership for them to diagnose the problem, which in their conclusion was the cam chain tensioner... to only find out $1000 later it was NOT the cam chain tensioner.. this is where the agravation comes in... Im out $1000's and still have a bike that not fixed. The noise does not stop after motor warms, continually noisy, mosty at lower rpms. I been reading alot about the alt chain, but thought maybe you guys had some expert advise before I go chasing a rabbit that was never there... :P thanks all!

1000 bucks? haha thats funny, its like worth for the whole bike.. tell them they can have ur bike...

Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 AM

Mark, rub it in my face!!!
Sorry. .

- - It's just that, thatsort of **** pisses me off, big time and it's mostly the dealers you hear these stories about --

Old 09-28-2008, 03:11 AM

yea this is my first bike and I have really learned a lesson. From now on im going to figure it out myself.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes my blood boil "I HATE MAIN DEALERS" (please read loudley)

Havea go at the small jobs yourself, theres plentyof helpers here, and as your confidence grows so will the size of the jobs
A small local workshop is allways a better bet, but find one thats been recommended.
I got my CC replaced,carbs cleaned out+balanced,plugs and leads replaced for £160
[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 09-28-2008, 08:19 AM

I had the bike in the shop getting stuff done, oil leak (gasket in a bad spot - gear shaft cover and seals), clutch (fibres only), carbs, service- cost me just over AU$800.
But, bike runs good, and I save heaps buy doingthe previoussevices myself, so, not so sad.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it good to do stuff yourself, but it's also good to get a good mechainic to do some work sometimes. depends what you can do and how good you are.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM

I adjusted the Balancer Shaft today. No Difference... *sigh* Im pretty content its going to be the alt chain. I also noticed a vacuum line laying loose under the RH side of the carbs. I shined a flash light all around to see where it hooks up and cant see a spot. I saw an identical line connected to the FAR RH CARB but couldnt figure out with the other went.. time to study the manual... any ideas?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 PM

Hhi

for the delaership that took 1000usd have you though to make a complaint at Honda america, because theyrevoke the right toa dealership to represent or be a Honda banner, the job they did was pretty bad job on a VFR, and the bike was toasted after, they even gave a new bike to the guy.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experience is a rough teacher, the test comes before the teaching. Believe me, I've found out the hard way.

When chasing noises or strange running symptoms, the very first thing to do is check the inexpensive stuff. Plugs, wires, valve clearence, balancer shaft adjustment (if possible on your bike - it is one ours), air cleaner, carbs - if there is reason to think they may be gummed up, timing (electronic on ours, but it can be checked), and then when all that is done, SYNCHRONIZE THE CARBS!!

Experience (remember the first line of this post?) has shown that out-of-synch carbs can imitate worn chains and sprockets (cam, alternator and drive), fouled plugs, incorrect timing, clogged air filter, bad coils, shorted plug wires, worn drive train gears, and hemorrhoids. Well, maybe not the hemrrhoids, but out-of-synch carbs can be a real pain in the, well, you know.

I should have learned that lesson years ago, but I'm a slow learner. Just a few weeks ago an appointment was made to take my CBR in to havecamchain noise andstrange driveline cluncks and clatters diagnosed. A day or so before the appointment I decided to have one more look, and during the process decided, as long as the tank was off, to synch the carbs. All noises and clunks disappeared. Just the latest in a long series of expensive problems solved by carb synchronization.

If that process doesn't take care of the problem, then you can talk to a mechanic.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well written DRam. I concur entirely.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bastard dealerships are the same, all over the world !!!
Sorry you had such an expensive lesson.

Quick Reply: SOOOO aggravating!!!!