CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Some advice - please....1987 Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice - please....1987 Hurricane

About ready to make the leap! Have my eye on a 1987 CBR 1000F Hurricane. Only 21,980kms. Pics look really good. Located 8 hr drive from me so haven't physically seen it yet. Bike has been used very little in last several years but serviced every year. Spoke to the guy who performed the service work each year and am told that everything but tires is original. He did tell me that the engine would sound a little "rattley" when started cold but would disappear after a few minutes when oil pressure increases. I understand this is a cam chain tightener issue and is very common on this bike but should not be a major concern. Can someone comment on this and give me some comfort that this should not be a deal breaker or warn me to step carefully. Would also appreciate some info on the availability of parts for a bike of this vintage. Don't want to drag this on too long but any other words of advice would be muchly appreciated. My first post....but hopefully the first of many.

Ride Safe!!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM

The rattle is common on these bikes. As long as the rattle goes away after the bike warms up, it shouldn't be a problem. Mines been rattling like that since I got it, over 20,000 miles (30,000 km?) ago, without a problem. If the rattle doesn't go away, then the cam chain tensioner likely needs replacement. Other guys on the board have done this themselves, and from what I gather it's not too big of a deal. As far as parts availability, generally they don't need much in that area, and what they do shouldn't be too hard to find. Replacing plastics, though, can be a bit tough.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

There are plenty of used parts in North America out there for these bikes. Many end up on ebay at a very good price. If the price is right and the bike looks good in person, go for it.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
The rattle is common on these bikes. As long as the rattle goes away after the bike warms up, it shouldn't be a problem. Mines been rattling like that since I got it, over 20,000 miles (30,000 km?) ago, without a problem. If the rattle doesn't go away, then the cam chain tensioner likely needs replacement. Other guys on the board have done this themselves, and from what I gather it's not too big of a deal. As far as parts availability, generally they don't need much in that area, and what they do shouldn't be too hard to find. Replacing plastics, though, can be a bit tough.
Thanks for the reply. I'll use your advice when I finally get to see and hear the bike, though I won't get to take it on the road....still some snow around here. Should I expect that rattle to completely disappear once the engine warms up?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM

I you can't test ride it, even only for a short spin, don't buy it. You have no idea what the transmission is like. Would you buy a car without a test drive?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM

My '87 has rattled when I start it ever since I've had it. I've had it since May '87, right out of the show room. It mostly goes away when warm, though there has always been a slight rattle.

The bike is a rock. Runs solid with little trouble and can deal with a lot of rider abuse. Plastics are hard to come by. Other parts shouldn't be too bad.

I bought my wife an '83 Kawi without taking it for a ride. I got a good vibe from the owner and felt I could trust him. Its a crap shoot because I wouldn't want to let someone I don't know take my bike for a ride prior to sale, only to drop it or something. So I can understand them not wanting me to take theirs for a ride.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Bought my '94 1000f sight unseen 6 months ago off trademe in NZ. Talked to the guy a lot. Just got a good vibe. You just have to go with your gut on deals like this if you can't get to ride it. Mine turned out to be a great decision, Excellent bike for age.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM

I did the same but mine wasn't running and the price was low enough to take a gamble.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:40 PM

This feedback is just great guys!! What a find this forum has become. Nothing better than getting the goods straight from other owners. Keep it coming...please.
I'm getting some good vibes from the current owner but mostly from the previous owner...the original purchaser of the bike, who no longer has any ties to the bike but was more than willing to share whatever info he could. The original owner sold it last year with ~21,000km. Have pictures of instrument cluster from current owner with 21,980km. Plastics look to be in great shape with one small exception...have a close-up pic of the lower right panel with a small crack, which resulted from a tip over, not a riding spill. Can these plastics be repaired?
Long weekend next week. Hope to get to see the Hurricane.

Quick Reply: Some advice - please....1987 Hurricane