CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

So I'm on my 2+ week tour...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Well, we made it to Deal's Gap on Thursday, stayed at the CRoT that night, and did some local riding on Friday before departing for home. We took a great ride out of the Smokies towards Nashville on TN30 to Pikeville. This road is like The Gap Jr...super fun.

We made it home tired but happy Friday evening and spent the weekend relaxing. I'll be posting up some more detailed accounts and pics at some point in the not too distant future, but I wanted to let the well-wishers know that we made it safe and sound...total mileage approx. 3170.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear from you, Dave! Glad your trip went well.

3,170 mile ride, eh? Dam... you certainly put some miles on!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks! I've mapped out my first legs from Nashville to Western MA on Google Maps. I've got to figure out how to color code the routes or some such, but I'll post up a link when I have that ironed out.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great that all went well and you're home safe, Dave.
That's quite a ride, 3000 miles - I'd love to have done it with you.
Now get out there and wash your bike......hehe

Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Being the CBR forum, I should mention that apart from the wheel bearing, I had 0 problems on the whole trip. The bike performed admirably in every way. If I can score a pair of VFR bars, and get the scratch together for a shock I'll be stylin'! As it is I've got the bars about 1" up on the forks...about as far up as I think is safe, and it's pretty good. But, I'd love to have them a bit closer to me, and I think the VFR bars would do that nicely.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM

here's one pic...more to come when I get the ones I took organized, get my CD'sin the mail, etc. This is a pic from The Gap. In the rain. Again.

Attached Thumbnails So I'm on my 2+ week tour...-gap_rain.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Being the CBR forum, I should mention that apart from the wheel bearing, I had 0 problems on the whole trip. The bike performed admirably in every way. If I can score a pair of VFR bars, and get the scratch together for a shock I'll be stylin'! As it is I've got the bars about 1" up on the forks...about as far up as I think is safe, and it's pretty good. But, I'd love to have them a bit closer to me, and I think the VFR bars would do that nicely.
I'm jealous. Sounds like a great trip.

My kid's 90 came with the VFR bars and they feel great for hours and hours. Some folks might think they are a step down in looks (Shallow people)

Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a shame it was raining Dave , Deals Gap in the dry would be a HOOT!

This has been posted up before , but may be of interest:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

You'll notice of course the lead bike is a Goldwing! Would love to know what the pursuit bike is 'cos he makes it look like a moped!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 AM

The pursuit bike is also a Wing actually. The guy on the yellow bike did an IBA ride all on The Gap, and the IBA disallowed it because all 1100+ miles of it were A-B-A-B. The sad thing is that if he's communicated it to the IBA first, they probably would have allowed it because it's interesting. Oh well.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Here's a couple more pics...these are from Killboy.com on The Gap. You can't really see the rain falling, but if you look at the road and bike you can see how hard it was raining. The other bike is my Dad on his Valkyrie Interstate. The dry pic is his first ever run through the Gap, and the rain is his second...quite a break-in eh? He loved every minute of it...

Attached Thumbnails So I'm on my 2+ week tour...-cbr_gap_wet_small.jpg   So I'm on my 2+ week tour...-dad_gap_1_small.jpg   So I'm on my 2+ week tour...-dad_gap_wet_small.jpg  

Quick Reply: So I'm on my 2+ week tour...