CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

So I'm on my 2+ week tour...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great way to get work done on your bike. Just ride from town to town and get something done while you are sightseeing. You may start a trend.

When you said "sealed" bearings, I flashed back to my mechanic showing me that when he took the front wheel off to change the tire that a bunch of rust was on the bearing, so he examined it, and then showed me how rough it was turning, so he replaced it. I guess he was afraid I would complain about unnecessary work. Sure glad he did it. And now glad I remembered he did it.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your trip is going ok, now, bud.
Enjoy the Wedding!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a real bad start to the trip , that would kill me to get all the way to Deals Gap and have to ride it like that and in the dark too!!

I've seen it on the internet and would dearly love to 'ride the dragon!!'

Still sounds like your luck has improved , remind me never to play poker with you

More pics would be great when you get a chance , till then safe!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Hi all! The wedding was great. My cousin has 200 acres on a mountain top in the White Mts. a few miles from Sugarbush ski resort (where he is head of ski patrol). My wife has pics...no description of the setting/view can possibly do it justice. It's as if it's right out of a movie.

My friend wasn't able to get to the tires and chain, so we did it together on Sunday afternoon after I returned...all good now. My Dad and I left on my second leg/his first leg this afternoon. We rode through some beautiful country in rural Eastern New York. I'm not sure if it's state or US route 22, but it's a great road. Took that to 44, to 209 to Port Jervis where we're staying tonight.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my Dad rode bikes until I was about 12, then I started riding when I was 18. As an adult I moved away, and he has now started riding again about 5 years ago, but we've never ridden together before. So, we're taking this trip this week...gonna go to where his Dad was born in WVA, then back to the Appalachians and Smokies, Deal's Gap (he's never been), and whatever else we have time for, then home to TN.

It's tough to get time to post pics while on the road, but I'll try to get a few more up at some point. Have a great week!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Sounds like a great trip and I know you're having a blast. My dad rode a Harley and a Matchless 500 until I was born and then quit. I've been riding since I was about 12 but never got a chance to ride with him. He's 85 y/o and legally blind now so it'll never happen. Enjoy the time riding with yours.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM

You are very lucky to get to do this with your dad. I never did, but I'm 54 and my son is 20 and we enjoy them together. So far it has been nothing but great memories. Shopping, buying, tinkering, upgrading, maintaining, washing and riding.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update, man!!
Sounds like you're having a good trip, and you got to see quite a wedding. You've gotta post a couple pics of it when you get back or something. I'd like to see that.

So where are you and your dad headed to in WVA? I'm not far from where you guys are gonna be riding. I'm in south central PA, about 5mins from MD.
Hope you two have great weather!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe your gonna ride Deals Gap AGAIN! I'm so jealous!!

Mind you after your last experience you gotta enjoy it this time

What bike is your Dad riding?

Sounds like a blast , you two enjoy your time together and stay safe .Pictures can wait untill you get back , but we want to see them!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks all! We're in Bristol VA tonight, headed to the gap tomorrow...and it looks like it will be raining. Again. Great riding today from northern WV to here. More soon...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be safe and enjoy yourself, Steve.

Quick Reply: So I'm on my 2+ week tour...