CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

So, how bad did I screw up ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default So, how bad did I screw up ?

Well, I decided it was time to clean my chain. It has about 9000 miles on it since replacement. It wasn't that dirty, but was just getting on my nerves that it didn't look clean. I had purchased some kerosene to clean it with. Well, when I grabbed the container of cleaner, I grabbed Mineral Spirits by mistake. Normally I would have noticed the smell, but naturally I bought odorless mineral spirits. I know that it's bad for the "O" rings. So, how bad do you think it might be.

The process went like this. I took the rear wheel off, got a drain pan and filled it with the mineral spirits to about an inch deep. I allowed the chain to sit in the solution (dangling down from the swing arm) while I brushed it with a soft brush. I'd then rotated in a new section to clean until I had cleaned the entire chain. After cleaning (It looks really great, just like new), I thoroughly lubricated it.

My observations of the chain were that it was still kind of stiff to move. It seemed the same as when I installed it, all the links moved freely, but not loosely.

So, tell me what you think is going to happen. Is it going to fall apart in 100 miles, or you think I might be OK ?

Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 PM
dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So, how bad did I screw up ?

I wouldn't worry about it. That's a relatively mild solvent and shouldn't harm the O rings. Make sure you lube it when done.

BTW, Mineral spirits won't hurt the paint, either. Good for tar removal and such. Also for cleaning to allow stickers to bond well. Good idea to wax after using because it will remove all of that stuff.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the mineral spirits will effect the rubber o-rings in the chain. I used to work at a transmission remanufacturing plant and we used mineral spirits to clean everything (includung seals and rubber parts.). As long as the rubber didn't soak overnite I don't think the rubber would've soaked up enough to cause it to swell. As for the chain being stiff... Most new chains will be stiff until it stretches alittle. They're just stiff because of the lube they put them together with from the factory and the tight clearances during manufacturing. You should be okay. But If you're worried just keep tabs on the chain every now&then. Just keep it lubed and you should be enjoying your new chain for awhile.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Well, thanks Dad (I've been wanting to say that ever since I started on this forum ) and Chuck, it makes me feel better. I didn't really think it was too bad, but it was one of those doooop moments.

Since I was on a role, I did my wife's F3 chain tonight.(used kerosene this time) I hadn't cleaned it since we got the bike. It cleaned it just as effectively as the mineral spirits. What techniques do you all use for aligning the rear tire after removing it and adjusting the chain ? (not sure if it's appropriate to ask another question inside this thread).

Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mineral Spirits won't hurt it. I keep asking this question, why clean a chain? The dirt is on the outside. By cleaning it you remove any lub that has penetrated the insides of the links where you want it. I have never cleaned a chain in 35 years of riding and have put 15,000 mile on a chain and replaced it well before I had to.

When I align the rear wheel I start with the furthest back lines that I can line up on each side of the swingarm. Then determine how mush the wheel has to come back. If it is a lot, I turn the left side two turns and the right two turns. As I get closer I go to one turn and then 1/2 turns.

You want little slack but more important is that you don't want any tension in the chain.
dad is correct, you can't beat the wax.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Cleaning is 2 fold, aesthetics 1, and maintenance 2. Aesthetics because it looks bad, and as it picks up dirt, dust, road grime, it gets slung onto the bike. Wherever there’s dirt, you trap moisture. Moisture on a chain causes rust. Here in S. FL, we have a lot of moisture.

I’m not sure I entirely agree with your statement that cleaning removes the lubricant that has penetrated the chain. If the “O” rings, in this case “X” rings are working properly, they keep the interior lubricants inside, and anything on the outside from getting in. Lubricating the chain after cleaning helps keep the “X” rings in good condition so they can do their job. The lubricant also helps protect the metal plates from the environment.

Besides, it just looks good