CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Skimming the head - okay or not? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/skimming-head-okay-not-158832/)

Boris.b 04-15-2019 02:15 PM

Skimming the head - okay or not?

Hi All,
I have a 1988 cbr1000fh and had an oil leak coming from between the bottom of the barrels and the crank case, so have stripped the top end down....
In cleaning up the head ready for reassembly, I have committed a school boy error and marked the head where I caught it with the gasket scraper, and as sods law works, right on the fire ring. I'm not happy with it and would like to skim the head, but thought I would ask if that's okay on these heads, (i have worked more with cars than bikes). Doesn't need much, but i would definitely feel happier doing it rather than risk it....unless it mucks up the compression ratio too much...
And on a related topic, I've been told a top end gasket kit is now officially discontinued, but there are a few left in stock, at £251 plus vat! I would be happier fitting a genuine head gasket, but that does seem very expensive - the dealer I use says they don't list an aftermarket gasket kit for the cbr1000f anymore, are kits gasket kits on ebay any good?
Many thanks for any help or advice you can give.

tentacleslap 04-16-2019 03:12 PM

Ouch! You should have room to take a bit of metal off it, but obviously don't go too crazy. If there's a machine shop close by you could have them mill it, or even just provide an opinion. I think the DIY solution is to use a pane of glass to sand it flat, but I don't have any experience doing that, so take with a grain of salt

As for gaskets, I've heard that most aftermarket ones are comparable to original. Just make sure it's a fit and you should be okay. I paid $180 CAD a couple years back for a Honda topend kit, but I must have got one of the last ones on the continent...

Boris.b 04-16-2019 03:53 PM

Hi there, thanks for the reply and the advice. I wont try and do it myself, there is a machine shop I have used before, (for car heads though), and would use those guys, I was concerned whether it was something that just wasn't done on bike heads, but it seems "acceptable" from what you say, also sounds like the gasket kits are okay.
By the way, I think it was your "sticky" on the engine rebuild wasn't it? Have to say, one of the best how to's I've ever seen - great job!

jarvid 04-17-2019 02:29 AM

I used a Vesrah seal kit from Japan, no leaks after...8 years and counting!

tentacleslap 04-17-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boris.b (Post 1320895)
Hi there, thanks for the reply and the advice. I wont try and do it myself, there is a machine shop I have used before, (for car heads though), and would use those guys, I was concerned whether it was something that just wasn't done on bike heads, but it seems "acceptable" from what you say, also sounds like the gasket kits are okay.
By the way, I think it was your "sticky" on the engine rebuild wasn't it? Have to say, one of the best how to's I've ever seen - great job!

Glad to hear it, thanks!

Boris.b 04-17-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jarvid (Post 1320926)
I used a Vesrah seal kit from Japan, no leaks after...8 years and counting!

Brilliant, thanks for the recommendation/validation, I will look them up.