CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Running temperature (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/running-temperature-158143/)

ShiveringDog 08-30-2018 03:11 PM

Running temperature

Hi there, so I recently got a 1999 black CBR with around 32k on the clock. I have been running it up and down a roads, 70 miles an hour and it stays nice and cool. Once I get in town and.face a little traffic the temp gauge goes up to half and the fan kicks in, which is a good thing, my journey takes around 30 minutes with the last ten minutes me trying to get through town? And the gauge goes up to over half? Is this normal. I do filter as when I can, to try and.keep moving. I did notice that the water/antifreeze filler bottle was full above the max level. Any advice would be much appreciated. I will also try and upload some pics when I can work out how to do it. Thanks Dan

tentacleslap 08-30-2018 03:59 PM

Hey Dan,
That's all pretty normal for these bikes. Mine is cool on the highway and pretty hot in traffic. I don't worry when the temp goes halfway up the gauge, but it should stop rising at ~5/8ths or so. If it goes past that point, you'll want to take a look at the thermostat

It'll also kick a bit of heat up around the tank/seat, like a built-in warmer

ShiveringDog 08-30-2018 04:07 PM

Hi there, thanks for the quick response. Yeah I noticed the heat coming through the edge of seat below the tank, very handy in winter. I figured that it would get quite hot as it's a big bike. It went just above half and the fan was kicking in. Seems normal now. What type of oil would you suggest when replacing?. Cheers Dan.

tentacleslap 08-31-2018 10:10 AM

Yeah, mine seems to really like ambient temps 10-20 degrees C. She runs great if there's just a bit of chill in the air. Past 25 C she gets a bit miserable in traffic

Suggesting oil is a bit like asking what color shirts are best. Everyone's got an opinion. I run the Honda GN4 10W40 mineral. It's good solid stuff, and I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy. Personally I like mineral oil for older bikes, cause I find the synth will seep out of my goldwing, and it's cheaper so I can change it twice as often. Plus extra purity. I'm also 90% commuter 10% highway, and don't really bury the needle all that often. If in doubt, go with synth or semi-synth for better protection during sport riding

Going heavier is kinda pointless where I live. If you're in a hot climate, probably go up to a 20W40 or even a 20W50 if you're gonna take it through a desert or something

Capacity is 3.8L (4 qts)

GronkFries 08-31-2018 09:13 PM

I've been using GN4 10W40 as well. You go to a Honda dealership and and they always point to that jug no matter what bike you have. If you had an old Studebaker they would probably recommend that oil. I think it's only 30 or 35 bucks so why mess around. Cheap piece of mind.

jarvid 09-01-2018 03:17 AM

Whenever I go to my local stealership, they always point me to the Motul stand. I might enquire about the GN4 next time.

KMCBR1000FM 09-03-2018 03:39 PM

3/4 - 7/8 on the gauge

I'm riding in 25-28 degs at the moment and the gauge gets up to 3/4 - 7/8 when in traffic (sometimes a little nerve racking). The fan kicks in around 3/4. That's all after a recent coolant change using ipone radiator fluid.

ShiveringDog 09-03-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap (Post 1317144)
Yeah, mine seems to really like ambient temps 10-20 degrees C. She runs great if there's just a bit of chill in the air. Past 25 C she gets a bit miserable in traffic

Suggesting oil is a bit like asking what color shirts are best. Everyone's got an opinion. I run the Honda GN4 10W40 mineral. It's good solid stuff, and I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy. Personally I like mineral oil for older bikes, cause I find the synth will seep out of my goldwing, and it's cheaper so I can change it twice as often. Plus extra purity. I'm also 90% commuter 10% highway, and don't really bury the needle all that often. If in doubt, go with synth or semi-synth for better protection during sport riding

Going heavier is kinda pointless where I live. If you're in a hot climate, probably go up to a 20W40 or even a 20W50 if you're gonna take it through a desert or something

Capacity is 3.8L (4 qts)

Great thanks for the the advice.