CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is Riding a new model bike really awesome

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Riding a new model bike really awesome

As most of you know I ride a 1987 Hurricane.and I love the bike. its done nothing wrong. But i thought about it and realized I've never ridden a new bike or almost new bike ever in my life. They've always been 15 or more years older. So ive been considering the idea of locking in to finance for one and blowing my savings out...maybe.. Then I start to think about it. What is it i think i want. I think i want to feel that fresh and tight compression that comes with a new model bike and the smooth gear changes and the sound of a crisp and powerful fuel injected engine. I also want the less weight so I can maneuver better through hustle and bustle. so i had a look around.
cbr1000rr - would be the ultimate but too pricey. saw one for $9999.00 2006 model, the new models $17,999.00. Then I thought I could get the new cbr 250r for 6500.00 all up.. but would I miss the power of the big bike im sure. what do you think? then I thought how about the new 600RR.. what a machine! but then I think what do i want with so much power..its like imagine myself doing wheelies and front brake lifts or something..lol ... I dont know.. is it really worth it. should i stay loyal to hurricane.maybe having steady power is better than always flying around and hanging for dear life.. but then i think about the suspension and brakes and handling how good it would be with a new bike..when do bikes start loosing their crispiness 5 years? whats the best years to go for without too much compromise.. i guess it depends on the klms and how hard its was ridden.. its just that most everyone that sells used bikes are selling it for a reason and most of the time its a hidden little trap something wrong with the bike..it sucks... so i think if i upgrade go for the newest models. do I dare look at other makes? I don't know.. I will try not to do something too hasty.. but im really getting psyched up looking at whats out there..they all look good on pictures...sorry about the rave.. feel free to share your thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails Is Riding a new model bike really awesome-bd5734727211500191954.jpg   Is Riding a new model bike really awesome-bd5342682392126119825.jpg  

Last edited by horse_power777; 05-10-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horse_power777
What is it i think i want. I think i want to feel that fresh and tight compression that comes with a new model bike and the smooth gear changes and the sound of a crisp and powerful fuel injected engine. I also want the less weight so I can maneuver better through hustle and bustle. so i had a look around.
Have a look at some of those Super Motard style bikes, 650 twins and an absolute ball to ride, perfect for a commute with attitude.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Have a look at some of those Super Motard style bikes, 650 twins and an absolute ball to ride, perfect for a commute with attitude.
yeah cool Kiwi I had a look at some.. they seem a little like trail bikes though..
they look fun.. like you can go on rougher terrain..but still want the road/racey feel..

im going to inquire on this tomorrow 2006 model 600RR rare edition..
that would be awesome! if in good nick.

Attached Thumbnails Is Riding a new model bike really awesome-img_8649.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the f4i platform is very popular, has still-up-to-date technology, and probably fits more like an older hurricane than the RR's. makes an outstanding commuter with the ability to have some good solid fun when you're up for it, is a proven bulletproof platform service-wise, and should maintain value pretty well.

but to directly answer the question in the thread title: hellz yeah.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 AM

New bike, lets see... break-in period where you have to baby it, all the while wondering what power lies beneath. Then the day comes and you know you can open it up and do. Then the moment when you realize that it doesn't really have much more to it than what you already have other than shiny new. Then you realize your going to have to pay monthly payments and extra insurance for the next few years for so little gain. I've been there, never going back.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Man
New bike, lets see... break-in period where you have to baby it, all the while wondering what power lies beneath. Then the day comes and you know you can open it up and do. Then the moment when you realize that it doesn't really have much more to it than what you already have other than shiny new. Then you realize your going to have to pay monthly payments and extra insurance for the next few years for so little gain. I've been there, never going back.

Thanks FatMan that's really what I wanted to hear....cause in the end of the day.. they all get hot and wear~ but i did look at the f4i's
they are pretty cool too. but your right i know, i think its just the wieght of the bike in traffic really getting to me.

Attached Thumbnails Is Riding a new model bike really awesome-gc4991488503968843142.jpg  

Last edited by horse_power777; 05-10-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 PM

I like dreaming about other bikes, and I actually bought a 2002 FZ1 a couple of years ago. I have also ridden a few 600 RR's. It seems like there is no perfect bike. Gain in one area, and lose in another. The FZ was pretty cheap, lighter, easy to maneuver in parking lots, and is scary quick, but I love the Hurricane!

Honestly, I just wish I could buy a brand new Hurricane! It's been the best all around bike I have found.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM

look, in all honesty, unless you are racing, theres no need. racers are 'slow' by comparison once their bike is 2.5 years old or so, but the street etc is a different story.
If youre looking for something newer, go out and buy a 2000 onwards bike. anything in that era is going to be as quick as a comparable bike on the road, be much lighter, have better suspension and brakes etc etc etc than what you ride now. Upgrading doesnt mean blowing thousands of bucks, especially when the 'real world' difference between a 2011 model and a 2002 model really isnt all that much.
There are some really good deals to be had out there

Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by bicklebok
I like dreaming about other bikes, and I actually bought a 2002 FZ1 a couple of years ago. I have also ridden a few 600 RR's. It seems like there is no perfect bike. Gain in one area, and lose in another. The FZ was pretty cheap, lighter, easy to maneuver in parking lots, and is scary quick, but I love the Hurricane!

Honestly, I just wish I could buy a brand new Hurricane! It's been the best all around bike I have found.
go buy the 2011 CBR600F then!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done the "new bike thing"
Remember when you ride the new toy out of the showroom, how much it depreciates in the first year. The numbers are scary, when you figure how long it took you to save for it, and the repayments to come. A new 600RR is a wee bit quicker off the line than my 1000F but only maybe a bike length to 100MPH, and when we get up to the top end of the 600, the Hurricane is still pulling away. Maintenance through the stealership on your new baby is crippling, so you'll end up riding less.
If I were to look for something a bit more "modern" I'd probably go for a Blackbird - better suspension, brakes, injection etc etc.
And yes if I could find a new 1000F I'd def go for it, even though there are lighter, quicker bikes out there very few are as reliable and comfortable.
Stay with your Hurricane, and maybe ride a newish Blackbird and you'll feel the improvement, subtle as they are, then decide what to do.
Here comes the heresy
My next bike will probably be a Hayabusa - the new VFR1200 is a POS in my opinion. Too many factory faults and not selling well here. It's no Hurricane for sure. Looking in the showroom, too many 1 year old VFR's which tells me something isn't right.
Honda have missed a trick by not bringing out a 1200F with injection, 3 pot brakes etc and better suspension. THAT I'd buy in a heartbeat !!!
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Is Riding a new model bike really awesome