CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rev counter behaving oddly

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the main difference is that I am sopping wet inside the helmet/jacket/jeans and you, lucky buggers, are superficially wet.
I squelch on the inside!

sounds like your problems are water in the fusebox and everything else shorting out.

wet wimbledon and olympics?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plugs, balancer, rev counter

I recently posted a thread 'Rev counter behaving oddly'. It was suggested I put some new coolant in so I stopped off at Halfrauds on my way home and bought some water and radiator flush.

When I got back on the bike the rev counter was up and down like a tart's thingies and I had to keep revving the engine as it felt like it was about to die.

When I got home I had a go at adjusting the balancer with the engine warm (had been resting an hour or so). No matter how many times I turned the adjuster, in both directions, I couldn't get the engine to whine. DOES THIS MATTER?

I also thought I'd check the spark plugs. They are all the correct shade of brown but THEY WERE ALL LOOSE. I was able to remove them without a wrench. I guess this was why the engine was misbehaving, but does it explain why the rev counter was over-reading?

I tightened them up, went for a short ride, and now the rev counter reads correct and the engine feels better. Am hoping this will fix the issues I've been having lately.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I can not comment on the balancer as I have no experience of that side of the bike yet.

How loose were the spark plugs? Finger tight or a slight turn of the wrench? Did they have coppaslip or neverseez on the threads?

Did you check the threads before replacing.tightening the plugs?

I would be very interested to discover why they were loose? When was the last time you or another bod worked on the bike?

Cheers, SB

Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't get the engine to whine. DOES THIS MATTER?
I've heard of this happening on other bikes before. I wouldn't worry about it.
If it's not whining it should be fine.

As for the rev counter and the plugs - I'm not sure of the connection EXCEPT if the plugs were so loose that you were losing compression which would make the bike stutter and affect the rev counter. It's all I can think of.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's unusual that a rev counter will over-read because of wet fuses - normally under-reading would be the norm. (or not working at all)
I'd run through the wiring and make sure it's all dry and all fuses are in place and good.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by Shadow
It's unusual that a rev counter will over-read because of wet fuses - normally under-reading would be the norm. (or not working at all)
I'd run through the wiring and make sure it's all dry and all fuses are in place and good.
Thanks Shadow, but as I said in my recent post 'spark plugs, balancer, rev counter' I found all the spark plugs were loose. I tightened them last night and the bike performed OK today.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
I can not comment on the balancer as I have no experience of that side of the bike yet.

How loose were the spark plugs? Finger tight or a slight turn of the wrench? Did they have coppaslip or neverseez on the threads?

Did you check the threads before replacing.tightening the plugs?

I would be very interested to discover why they were loose? When was the last time you or another bod worked on the bike?

Cheers, SB
Seb,
I put the plugs in myself a while ago with a bit of copperease, not done any work on them since. I don't suspect there's anything wrong with the threads as they unscrewed by hand OK and went back in smoothly by hand, and I gave them an extra 1/4 turn or so until they felt tight enough.
It's possible that loose plugs explains why my rev counter was behaving oddly (as in my other post 'rev counter behaving oddly').
After tightening them up, the bike now rides OK, with the rev counter accurate and steady.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hmmm.... mate ... no way a loose plug would cause that !
Kinda what I was thinking too, but what the hell; I know Jack about the dark side.

For all I know a loose plug lead on the No. 3 plug may explain why my wife is grumpy with me.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-29-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: profanity removed

Quick Reply: Rev counter behaving oddly