CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

RESERVE FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RESERVE FUEL

Someone on this fourm, ages ago said that if you run out, there can be a little bit left but stuck in the tank on thewrong side, if you tip the bike over a bit, you can move it to the right side, know know if this is true, and if so, I figure it wouldn't be much.
I think I get about 30k's on reserve - that in metric Yankie\Pommie boys - I reset the trip every time I fill, that goes for the cars as well.

I also carry a hose with me under the seat, if your riding with other guys, I can Steal/Give gas.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Tallenuf may have something. I own a 87 Hurricanethatwould not pick up fuel when the gas was low. I did all kinds of checks and test on fuel pump and ect. Finally replace thegunkeduppetcock fuel strainer and the problem was gone.Easy to replace strainer on petcock or you may just be able to clean it instead of replacing it.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tallenuf

Have you ever pulled the fuel petcock out of the tank and inspected it. You may have some "junk" clogging up the lower portion of the filter screen on the main fuel outlet. It is really easy to take out and it might shed some light on your issue.
Normal 0 I agree; the reserve hole may be plugged. How much gas can you put in it when you have to switch to reserve? If you can only put in 4 gals, then the hole is plugged. If you can put 5 gals in, then someone has cut the reserve tube to get more distance out of the on position. Either way you will have to pull the valve.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Honda Hurricane, Im from the south in the good old U S of A. There are people here that dont know even our own form of measurements.Cant even calculate miles per gallon. Ask them how many miles per gallon they are getting and all they know is that they can ride x number of dayson $20 in gas.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 PM

HeyRonnie, don't give him any more ammo!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

Normal 0 I agree; the reserve hole may be plugged. How much gas can you put in it when you have to switch to reserve? If you can only put in 4 gals, then the hole is plugged. If you can put 5 gals in, then someone has cut the reserve tube to get more distance out of the on position. Either way you will have to pull the valve.
what do you mean cut the tube to get more distance?

I've never filled my tank up more than 4.2 gallons and thats after driving over 10 miles on reserver

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 AM

It's photom distance? bigger main tank, smaller reserve, make no sense.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Honda_Hurricane

I have to say that I often wonders why the "big, mighty" U.S of A (and the tiny Great Britain with their old collonies) still have to hold on to the old outdated measurement units as feet, inches and so on.
And worse is of course the stubborn Brits who still have to drive on the wrong side of the road.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
OK we are a little of topic here.
My reserve is about 2 litres (whatever gallon that might be depends if you live in GB or US I guess).
Try ordering your next set of tyres (yes - tyres with a 'y') with our 'outdated system' and see how far you get [sm=owned.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dwarfdwarf

what do you mean cut the tube to get more distance?

I've never filled my tank up more than 4.2 gallons and thats after driving over 10 miles on reserver
There is a tube that sticks up from the petcock. In the on position, gas flows down the tube through the petcock. When you have used 4/5 (4 of the 5 gals) you should have to switch to reserve, giving you 1/5 (1 gal). If you were filling the tank with 4.2 gals, I would say that you are getting little benefit from the reserve position. I would tend to believe that the pick-up hole for the reserve is plugged or the screen is full of debris.

It one time I was thinking about cutting down the main pick-up tube to give me 4.5 gals in the on position and 1/5 gal in reserve. On the highway I get 52 MPG and ½ would be more than enough to get to the next pump.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

I can go 30 km after the bike starts to stumble on primary, before being completely out.

BTW gasis goingdown 10 cents a litre tonight

He's talking about these tubes

[IMG]local://upfiles/23307/B8762F6ED5FF4FD1A9CFDDA8E9E5D4C8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: RESERVE FUEL