CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Removing Broken Bolt from Clutch Basket!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Broken Bolt from Clutch Basket!

****EDIT***** NEW PROBLEM - READ MY SECOND POST **********

Well, this afternoon I decided to go ahead and replace my clutch which has been slipping for quite some time. Everything was going without a hitch until it came time to tighten up the 10mm bolts that hold the clutch springs in.....tightened on too much and the head snapped right off! Now I figure I'm pretty screwed. I doubt I can safely roll around with only 4 out of 5 clutch bolts/springs, and I have no idea how I can get that tiny bolt out! Any suggestions?!?

Old 12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Removing Broken Bolt from Clutch Basket!

Fark you must have given it some curry to snap it off!

In theory it should still work. Worse thing would be accelerated & uneven wear and possibly slippage.

No offence dude, but if your mechanically inept to snap off the bolt then you definately should be attempting the much harder task of removing a broken one. This is not something you want to stuffup as removing a broken easy out is bloody hard.

Ride it to a bike shop or engineering shop and get them to remove it.

Just a note on doing up bolts. If you are unsure of what tension to use wait till it seats firmly and then give it 1/16 to 1/8th of a turn depending on the size of the bolt.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 AM

Alright. Well after some discussion with others I know, I found out it's okay to run with just four of the five clutch srpings. So I went ahead and put everything back together minus the one spring.

New Problem:
Now the clutch grabs fine, no sign of slippage in sight. BUT I now have a hard time disengaging the clutch! I now have to squeeze the lever ALL THE WAY against the handlebar, the slightest bit out from the bar and you can feel it chattering/trying to grip, and it's enough to move the bike forward pretty good. This is a problem since I don't even have a grip on the clip-on yet. Just that extra bit of rubber will make it so the clutch cannot fully disengage. Also, it is very hard to control the bike from a stop when I have to have all four fingers on the clutch lever.....

Any suggestions?

BTW: I did not put much stress on the bolt at all (at least it didn't seem). I think it may have had to do with not tightening them all down evenly, bit by bit. Oh well.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM

The Honda manual lists five things to check if the clutch will not disengage or the motorcycle creeps with clutch disengaged:
1. Air bubbles in hydraulic system.
2. Low fluid level.
3. Leaking lifter hydraulic system.
4. Sticking lifter hydraulic system.
5. Warped plates.

But looking at the diagram for the clutch, you now only have 4/5's of the standard spring pressure pushing on the plates and disc's. Plus, the clutch lifter plate will be cocked at an angle. I would bring the clutch drum to a good dealer or machine shop and have the broken bolt removed.