CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Regulator/Rectifier - Aftermarket units

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator/Rectifier - Aftermarket units

I have been reading up about the Regulator/Rectifier issues with these CBR F's. I'm not sure the condition of mine as I've only had the bike for 5 days... but will definately do the mod mentioned about cleaning the underside of the unit and frame and smearing some thermal paste... I'll even see if I have an old CPU heatsink/fan and go all the way with the mod.

But looking around for after market ones, there's currently a universal unit on eBay (Aust.) going for only $48 (AUD) - a 35A unit 6 wires. Looking at the wiring charts in the CBR PDF manual the original is also 6 wire (exc. the earth on the mount). Is this too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120077774250

(hopefully I wrote that right). Seems like a good price compared to geniune parts. Any thoughts on it's suitableness.

Also wanted to share my thoughts on these units. I'm no auto electrician or electronics buff, but have had another to do with Electronic Speed Controllers as used in R/C hobby aircraft. In a way they're the opposite to these units, as in battery current goes in, transforms to AC and goes out via 3 phase to the motor. The more current going into them the hotter they get and will eventually melt the caps and motor no more go. So if we want more power which will draw more amps we get a higher rated amp unit or improve heat desipitation by maximising airflow over the units' heatsinks and increasing heatsink size.

If the weakness in our R/R's in due to heat caused by too many amps, you'd think Honda would address the problem and produce a higher rated unit or either that find a higher rated after market one.... so in saying all that - anyone take a stab at how many amps would be going through this system under load? The unit on eBay is rated at 35A. To me that's pretty darn high... our wiring would probably melt before we get that high.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Default RE: Regulator/Rectifier - Aftermarket units

miss wrote the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120077774250

Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 PM

I know a friend who put a higher capacity unit ... ones that are made for jet-skies. It works fine.

By the way Have you voted in this months ROTM? my bike a 1kF is in it.. Appealling for some help to win this cheers

Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM

If you can get one, go through Rick's Electrics. They make units that are origianl equipment quality. Plus you won't have to make your own wiring harness to hook up to the one you linked to. Which brings me to my next point: that looks like an Electrosport unit that you linked to. I for one and not a fan due to 1) the unit the sent me died within 2 weeks, 2) the replacement unit they sent me was wrong (wouldn't even come close), 3) to due the heatsink/fan mod you need a flat surface like the origianl unit.