CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

rear tire size

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear tire size

I was wondering if the wider tire would slow steering much. Maybe I'll just go with whatever's in stock and see how it goes

Track? I'm signed up for a Buell track day/demo at Sears Point in November and I plan on taking the CBR. I haven't pushed the bike really hard yet but I'm getting used to the linked brakes. I read the posts on de-linking before I got the bike, just in case I can't take the nose dive on rear braking.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM

I use a 170 just make the handling a bit lighter, I don't ride hard enough to warent that fraction more grip a 180 provides.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:17 PM

I'm in the 180/55 camp. Yes, it does slow the steering , but it eliminates the annoying slight head shake at 45-55 mph.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 AM

I'm in Australia and I use the Michelin 180/55 sports. Great tyre - wehave great weather and good roads - the 180 is beautiful - lean the cane as far as your knee will allow.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bassman, I developed that head shake after I installed a GIVI bag system. Even with just the top bag I get the shake from 45-55. You are correct about the 180; it takes most of it away.

Unlike others, I don’t notice heavier steering with the 180, that may be due to the fact that I was coming off of a worn front tire also. I still have not fully tested the new 180 out in normal ridding conditions as it has been raining here for two months. The long range forecast is 7 more days of rain. There were a couple of days that were very hot after some rain where the roads were damp. On those days I could get a great bit of lean angle. The bike feels more stable with the 180 than it did with the 170. I still slide in turns and will stay with the 180.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Sorry to hear about all the rain TBT. I had run a 190 on my Cane and ended up going back to a 180. It sure looked better with the 190, but it handled worse. I would recommend a 180 55 if you want the handeling to outweigh the appearance....

Sure wish I were out at the track to do that to my tires......oh well

I'd like to try out teh Contenentals next time around, but I still have a fair bit to go on the Pirelli's

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM

Does anybody find the road attacks wear fast ? i had them on the bike when i bought it recently with plenty of tread left , and im now buying new Mich dual compounds this week as there worn away already ? , i agree there great on the road but the wear factor has to be a negative for me about them ? although i was tempted to get another set as i can get them the cheapest deliverd to my door.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Noe

I have heard a lot of good things about the continentals, but they should have a problem with some of their road attack front tires. One of my mates has road attacks on his bike, and after only a few thousand miles the bike startet to shake it's head very violently when he let go of the clipons, so much that he was close to crashing the bike. It was due to the front tire not wearing properly.

I know taht some dealers here in Denmark started to mount the tire so it ran the "wrong way" and that cured the wrong wear on some bikes.

His bike is a VFR750, and I don't know if the same problem could occure on a cane

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mounting a front tyre to run "backwards" eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek - no thanks, they're designed to run one way, also to allow water to disperse properly. Not something I would try.

I can't comment on the Road Attack wear, but I can on the Michelin Pilot road2, which I have found to be excellent, both in grip and tyre life.

The VFR is maybe a bit lighter than the 'Cane, Noe ? Not sure on that though.

Leaning the bike...how's this ? His ELBOW"S al most touching.............

[IMG]local://upfiles/22903/990518848D7C47B7970CEBEE91AADD71.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2008, 01:56 AM

Had a pair of Michelin Pilot road 2 fitted yesterday 180 rear , talking to the fitter as he showed me my tyres, he pointed out cracks in the front tyre, they were due to a bad batch produced by pirelli, also the arrows were put on wrong , on the tyre wall the arrow was correct but on the tread edge it was facing the wrong way and alot were being fitted incorrectly like mine ..... oops all this time and i didnt notice , but there gone now and its time to bed in the new rubber

Quick Reply: rear tire size