CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rear Rim and oil cooler?

Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Rim and oil cooler?

If I want to change my rear rim to the wider one, what do i have to change? I understand that i need the wider rim and all spacers etc.

Can I keep the rear brake mounting bracket and the caliper from my -87?

Does the -87-88 rear disc fit on the newer rear rims?

Can I use the axle from my -87?

The oil cooler.. does anyone know if the oil cooler from newer models fits on the -87-88 CBR without any modification?

Old 07-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Rear Rim and oil cooler?

search............ there is answer already

Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Where? CanĀ“t find anything about if the -87 disc fits on newer rims.. canĀ“t find anything about the mounting bracket and caliper.. canĀ“t find anything about the oil cooler..

Edit: Found that I can use my existing mounting bracket and caliper..

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM

this is a pm i got from a very helpfull member when i asked the same wheel question:

I don't recall the sizes right off the bat, but they are both 17" wheels and as I recall I believe they were 1" wider than the stock ones for 87-88 models. You can probably google the specs of a 90-96 year model and find the rim dimensions. As for the spacers, I went to the local motorcycle salvage shop with my originals in hand for inner diamter sizing and poked through their bin until I found something close in thickness to what I needed. Cost all of $1 and then went home and tested, cut down with a ginder, tested, cut down with a grinder, until I had what was needed. I bought the rims on ebay and they were pretty cheap, about $50-75 each. and in good shape. Also, your local salvage yard for bikes may have a set you can talk them down on, or at least get measurements for finding what you want.

I waited to rebend the brake arm on the top until after I had the new rear wheel in place with tire and all then I bent to match and clear. I picked up an extra one on ebay before I started in case I ran into a problem, but it worked out without any trouble.

Don't forget also if you're changing the front wheel, the speedo with need to be changed to running off the front sprocket or what I did was pick up a sigma sport bc 800 bicycle computer and set up up for the diamter of my new front wheel. It will read up to 200 mph or something rediculous for a bicycle, but great for a motorcycle. Cheap too!

and i will look into the oil cooler

Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Have just done it myself. used a '93 rim, fits straight in. i had to add a couple of washers for better fit. i didn't do any bending, just mounted the caliper stay arm on the outside of the bracket on the swingarm. i used the spacers from the '93 rim, disc etc, etc from the '87. have got a '93 front rim at the metal strippers as i write, will be putting that on v-soon, happy to answer any questions if you have any, good luck - if i can do it anyone can... see pic attached

Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Tnx guys... i talked with a motorcycle "scrapyard" (spelling?) 2day.. and later this week they maybe get there hands on a -88 CBR.. (oil cooler)... and they should check 4 a wider rim 2 me.. I will phone them on friday again..

And ofcourse they didnĀ“t get any bike this week.. [:'(][:@]