CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Rear brakes (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/rear-brakes-141939/)

boru 09-14-2012 01:37 PM

Rear brakes

hi all,
took my 1000f (1993)out last evening (weather good!) and got about 1 mile and when i used the rear brake it locked on.i mean locked.
to get home i rode on and then the brake lines burst/melted!!
question is what new brake lines should i be looking for?
also a caliper referb kit?

thanks.

Sprock 09-14-2012 05:39 PM

Sounds like the fluid boiled up but good

new stainless lines , probably a new disk - be surprised if it's not warped from heat
and I'd just grab another used parts caliper - hell if it boiled up that much - not
sure I'd trust it down the road rebuilt or not.

TimBucTwo 09-14-2012 07:34 PM

I can feel the pain, I had a similar lockup on one of my bikes last week.

On my '94 1kF I have HEL S.S. lines but Spiegler is also a good one to use.

Ron Ayres...Bike Bandit...Cheap Cycle parts are good for parts.

It sounds like the pistons are crudded up and need to be cleaned. I use Scotch Brite to clean them up.

bicklebok 09-15-2012 03:37 PM

Go ahead and order some pads too. Had that happen to my 93 once and I was able to open the bleeder and pry the caliper enough to ride it home, but it ate up my pads.

Sprock 09-15-2012 06:33 PM

Oh and ask KenG to give you a hand - unbeknownst to me he's a PRO

slowpoke 09-15-2012 09:53 PM

One time when I changed a rear tire, I was so screwing around with the axle, spacers and caliper, I didn't get that tab into the slot. You know what tab and slot I'm talking about. I noticed it after tightening the axle bolt and had to redo the whole darn thing. But has anyone run their bike with the tab out of the slot? Could that cause a brake problem?

boru 09-16-2012 02:30 PM

thanks all for your replies.
what brake lines should I be looking to replace the melted ones?
and a replacement calliper?

HenryM 09-16-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke (Post 1191980)
One time when I changed a rear tire, I was so screwing around with the axle, spacers and caliper, I didn't get that tab into the slot. You know what tab and slot I'm talking about. I noticed it after tightening the axle bolt and had to redo the whole darn thing. But has anyone run their bike with the tab out of the slot? Could that cause a brake problem?

Depends which side of the slot you are if you're talking about the ability to stop at 100MPH reliably without adding the calliper as part of the wheel. Either way it's a recipe for ultimate disaster.
I think you'll find the answer is no. No one has run their bike like that. That's just too stupid even for the top seeded forum moron.
Trout? Where are you? You know there's nothing I'd say behind your back that I wouldn't say to your face.

hawkwind 09-16-2012 03:29 PM

As TimBucTwo said Hel do stainless braided ones here :-

We Sell HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Accessories

Also WeMoto are good suppliers :-

Honda CBR 1000 FM/FN 91-92 Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

TimBucTwo 09-16-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by boru (Post 1192068)
thanks all for your replies.
what brake lines should I be looking to replace the melted ones?
and a replacement calliper?

Go back to my post above. There are several links there.