CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rear brake lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
GZS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake lever

I just picked up a 1990 'cane. This is my first bike that I have owned, but I have ridden quite a few others. The one thing about this bike that I absolutely cannot stand is the rear brake. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said that there are kits that have been made to lower the brake lever. Does anyone else know about this? I want to be able to rest my foot on the rear peg comfortably. I have huge feet (Size 16) and having my foot hang out to the side is not only uncomfortable, but I think quite a bit unsafe. I'd like to lower the lever down like any other bike that I have ridden.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rear brake lever

Do I understand you correctly, that you want to rest your foot on the REAR footpeg ?
Can't reach the brake safely from there, even with your size 16's....

Here's a link to the manual..........
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...Manual.pdf>
OR
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf

Hope it works - pic of my 90 'Cane attached

[IMG]local://upfiles/22903/CBE8C3565A2B4A05A66693A43A70EDDB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
GZS

Errrr let me rephrase that. I want to be able to rest my foot on the peg safely and comfortably.

Oddly enough I've never actually looked at other 1000f's. I used a picture of your bike to better explain what I am trying to get across.

On your bike, the brake seems to be in the optimal place. I have (badly) drawn where mine is on my bike. I'd grab a picture but it's almost 2 am and my cell phone doesn't like the dark.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...A43A70EDDB.jpg

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No wonder it's uncomfortable.........I'll pull my sidecovers off and have a look for adjustments (if any). The manual doesn't have much to offer - strange as it's quite detailed in most areas. Maybe I can take pics of mine for you -

Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 AM

Welcome to the forum, this place and these guys are awesome. I feel your pain (size 15) but its funny, no challenges brake side. I am a little tentative with the shifter though. I have dragged my left foot a few times, its quite unsettling. (88 1000)

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
GZS

You are the man.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 AM
GZS

I went out and grabbed a picture. It's about three inches higher on my bike than yours. I really don't want to tear into it, but I more than likely will tonight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Photo_04-2.jpg

Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Hi there GZS! Welcome to the forum!
I don't know of any way to adjust the brake lever (but surely you will get some great advice from some of the gurus on this forum).

Now, I the hopes of not sounding like a darn "knowitall", let me quote the excellent magazine Sportrider:

"Proper body position starts with the ball of the foot on the footpegs and works up from there. Be consistent with where you sit on the seat while in cornering mode because moving even a few inches before or after ahs a big effect on weight distribution and handling; sliding up against the back of the tank is a good place to start. This also helps keep weight off your hands and wrists on the bars.

[/align]Get your body position set well before the corner entrance, as you begin your transition to the brakes, not, as most riders do instinctively, while you initiate your steering input. Ideally, the rider's upper and lower body hang equally off the inside of the motorcycle to shift the combined center of mass inward and allow the bike to remain more uptight for a given speed around a given radius corner.
Riding with your heel hooked on the peg presents a couple of problems. First, most riders end up pointing their toes outward, where they can drag on the ground prematurely (very distracting, if not scary). And second, riding this way forces you to use your quadriceps (in your upper leg) to lift your butt off the seat for weight transfer. Placing the ***** of your feet on the pegs allows you to also use your calf muscles and keeps your toes away from the asphalt."

Riding on the "***** of your toes" (hope I'm not equivocal in writing that) will also have the added benefit of pulling back your foot from the brake lever. You have perhaps heard some riders saying "you should never ever use the rear brake"? Personally, I like to use it when I have to.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
GZS

ORIGINAL: CosmoBob
...You have perhaps heard some riders saying "you should never ever use the rear brake"? Personally, I like to use it when I have to.
I have heard it and read it quite a few times before, but I am a novice rider. I would like to have it available if I do need it. And the fact that I can't rest my foot comfortably under the lever, if I rest it where it should be, I'll have the rear brakes mashed the entire time.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM

I appreciate your view and want to say I believe in any rider to do what they like, and do it their own way! I am also a real novice rider and have very much to learn for a long time still. Nowadays I ride almost exclusively on my toes as I find this to improve my riding and also to be the more comfortable riding style on the Hurricane.

Quick Reply: Rear brake lever