CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Rattle (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/rattle-103834/)

nakedgardener 12-06-2009 12:33 PM

Rattle

Well to keep it short.....developed a rattle\buz from what seems the top ofthe engine..disengages with the clutch in{or reduces},seems like its a bit low on power lately,have had 124000kms of joy,So-----Is this gonna make me sell that extra kidney of mine??....

davethepom 12-06-2009 04:19 PM

It's weird that the sound reduces when the clutch is pulled in..makes me think that's where the rattle is coming from and the sound is just transmitting up. Is your beloved burning much oil or smoking? Have you done a compression test? Some guys here have a lot more kms than yours so hopefully it's nothing that you'll have to sell any body parts for...rather than selling a kidney, try repeated donations to a sperm bank :D ...might take a bit longer to raise the cash, but gotta be more fun :D.

I hope your motor's ok mate.

pacojoseph 12-06-2009 05:02 PM

Rule out the simple things first. My clutch lever rattles at certain RPMs. It goes away if I put a finger on it.

Shadow 12-06-2009 07:40 PM

As Paco says
It may be something loose that's causing the buzz..................
Check all fairing bolts and anything else which could have worked loose before messing with the engine...............

TimBucTwo 12-06-2009 07:45 PM

Honda clutch baskets in the past have been weak. They rattle with age. Dropping the hammer will mess them up fast. When the clutch is pulled in they somewhat stop rattling. Hard to tell without listening to it.

kilgoretrout 12-06-2009 10:28 PM

Clutch basket was exactly what I first thought, too, TBT. Makes sense.

nakedgardener 12-06-2009 10:40 PM

Dont Think its the Clutch basket..just doesnt sound like it.....Could it be the Cam chain tensioner??I know this is a bit of a prob with CBR's...Went for a spin,kinda goes aways when the bike has warmed up..will keep an ear on it...and,Yes,Sperm is more accessible for sale at the moment,Thanks for tip.

Shadow 12-06-2009 11:25 PM

If it was camchain, it wouldn't change when you pull in the clutch..................
having said that, at that mileage a camchain tensioner and new chain could well be on the cards.

CBRclassic 12-07-2009 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by nakedgardener (Post 863268)
Well to keep it short.....developed a rattle\buz from what seems the top ofthe engine..disengages with the clutch in{or reduces},seems like its a bit low on power lately,have had 124000kms of joy,So-----Is this gonna make me sell that extra kidney of mine??....

The only problem with running these old girls that far with minimal maintenance I think , is that once they start showing signs of wear ....you prolly are up for more than just one chain and a tensioner...:icon_doh: or a clutch basket.... unless you are prepared to do partial maintenance repairs now and risk having to do more things a little latter ... rather than all of her at once ...

but BTW ...mine at just over the 100,000klms is rattly as chit when at idle mostly, makes no audible noises that I can hear when winding her up on the road ... and she goes like chit outta a shanghai still while using little to no oil ... so I just ignore the little rattles ATM ...:icon_teeth:

nakedgardener 12-07-2009 03:07 AM

ohh..she still goes some,thats for sure...but in for a service she goes,so,will keep you posted....Sperm anybody??