CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Ratteling sound from engine solved!!! YAHUU

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratteling sound from engine solved!!! YAHUU

Some may remember that I have had a lot of problems with rattling noises from my engine though I had replaced the CC and the CCT, especially when the engine got warmed up...

At last I found out. This guy from Denmark I visited regarding this problem told me that it might be the balancer that needed adjustment (and I went, "what the F... is the balancer" so he explained to the younger and unknowing novice).

He said that it should be adjusted at every service.

Got home and adjusted the balancer according to the CBR1000F manual, chapter 10 page 4... Ratteling noise redused by at least 75 %, if i tighten the balancer even more than now, the ratteling sound disappears comepletely, but is replaced by a squealing kind of sound from the balancer, probably due to the fact that it's tightened up, not loud but it's there...

But I don't know if that is any problem though??? Anyone know about that ???

Bottomline is: THE RATTELING SOUND FROM THE ENGINE IS GONE, and that is just sooooo very very nice, and all done in a 30 minutes...

So all of you guy's that have the same problem, try this before everything else is done!

Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Default RE: Ratteling sound from engine solved!!! YAHUU

Excelent! I'll deffinetly give this a try and report back.

MDFF

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM

Great Noe, this information could help others in the same situation. I didnā€™t know that the balancer was adjustable on the Hurricane.

There is a similar adjustment on the Bird, or two adjustments since the engine has double balance axis. As I read in that manual it said - adjust the balancer(s) until a wining sound, which occurs in a certain position, disappears, but not so much that gears on balance axis begins to clatter. There was also a warning for to tight adjustments giving some wining sound all the time. In that situation gears would be too loaded and wear out very quick.

It is great that the problem on your bike is finally solved and strong of you to find a solution.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe

Some may remember that I have had a lot of problems with rattling noises from my engine though I had replaced the CC and the CCT, especially when the engine got warmed up...

At last I found out. This guy from Denmark I visited regarding this problem told me that it might be the balancer that needed adjustment (and I went, "what the F... is the balancer" so he explained to the younger and unknowing novice).

He said that it should be adjusted at every service.

Got home and adjusted the balancer according to the CBR1000F manual, chapter 10 page 4... Ratteling noise redused by at least 75 %, if i tighten the balancer even more than now, the ratteling sound disappears comepletely, but is replaced by a squealing kind of sound from the balancer, probably due to the fact that it's tightened up, not loud but it's there...

But I don't know if that is any problem though??? Anyone know about that ???

Bottomline is: THE RATTELING SOUND FROM THE ENGINE IS GONE, and that is just sooooo very very nice, and all done in a 30 minutes...

So all of you guy's that have the same problem, try this before everything else is done!
Holy crap man I need to do that. My manual dosen't show how you do it. Would you explain where it is and what to do for me? Pleeeeeze?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Hi now this sounds like my problem I only have a littel rattle but any rattle drives me made can I access this with the fairing still on and if you dont mind can you please give me some details on how to.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:33 AM
dad

Check out this old thread.

https://cbrforum.com/m_29609/tm.htm

Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the rattle that Dad describes my balancer shaft caused a vibration at the bars strong enough to numb my hands in just a few miles of cruising. Adjustment took care of the problem, but to totally eliminate it took overtightening, so I'm living with a little tingle around 5,000 rpm. The vibration is getting stronger with time though. If another go at adjusting things doesn't work I may end up replacing the rubber pads on mine this winter.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:23 AM

Hey that sounds good.
I have a rattling sound, when the bike is cold.
It has increased since I got the bike in may, I have driven about 10000km on it.

IĀ“ll check that out soon.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Noe

R1000:
Did the Blackbird say anything about if the engine had to be warm or cold when the wining sound shuld be gone ??? I can adjust is so the wining sound it very slight when warm, but distinct when cold or distinct when cold and non existing when warm, but then the ratteling returns...

Backtalk:
Like DAD says; It's done on the low right side of the engine. You have to remove the right side faring to acces it. I found DAD's description a little hard to follow, but when I know how it is done it's easy to understand.(did that make any sence???)
It's a bit hard to explain and a manual is needed. Someone on this site once oploaded a manual so you could download it. I don't know if anyone could uploade this manual, because with my limited knowledge about computers i don't know how to do it... Sorry!

Oelhunden:
Does the ratteling sound disappear when your engind gets warmed up ? If so it could be the CCT instead of the balancer, which rattels when warm... At least in my case.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe

Oelhunden:
Does the ratteling sound disappear when your engind gets warmed up ? If so it could be the CCT instead of the balancer, which rattels when warm... At least in my case.
yup, and I know it is known to be the CCT, but canĀ“t hurt trying to adjust the balancer.

Quick Reply: Ratteling sound from engine solved!!! YAHUU