CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

questions on a few things.....

Old 12-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on a few things.....

first of all, i need a new exhaust system for my ride. (holes in it everywhere sounds like crap) i was wondering what you people might recommend for a replacment exhaust. i have a bit of a screwy set up on there right now. i have a vance&hines 4 into 1 header that i modified to fit a two brothers C4 slip on. time for a new set up. secondly, i just bought a new rear tire late this past summer and when i was winterizing my bike i noticed a piece of metal in my tire, right in the center of my tire. do you think i should leave it there or just ride with it. im just bummed cause im pretty sure you cant patch tires like this.( maybe im wrong, could i throw a tube in it?) plus if this thing blows on the highway or sumthing i dont want to end up as someones hood ornament. And lastly, do any of you have tips for keeping the pesky little critters out of your bike. i tried mothballs last winter and they didnt work. i had some field mice make a nice little nest outa my seat foam on my #1 cylinder. ( found it when i started my bike in the spring and smelt something burning and found 4 toasted mice) this year i put a box of DeCon pesticde under my bike and put a piece of steel wool in my exhaust pipe. hope that works. just wondering what you guys do to winterize, something i havent thought of? oh by the way i just wanted to thank who ever gave me that advice on the balancer shaft. solved the problem runs perfect now sorry dont remeber you name have to back track in the threads....

Old 12-29-2005, 04:40 AM
Default RE: questions on a few things.....

I have a Vance & Hines 4-1 Full system that works good and is quite light. But if I had the $$$ I would go for a lightweight free-breathing 4-2 system to get some of the low down response back.

Pull that metal out now and put a plug in it. You don't want the metal to depart company in the middle of nowhere. I have had a tyre plug in my rear for 4000km now and every weekend I do constant long distance at speeds over 120mph with nio ill effects. Only time I had a problem is when I get a puncture about 1" from the disewall and the tyre guy said he couldn't plug it securely as there is too much curve in the tyre.

Oh BTW I did a dangerous test with that rear that I couldn't fix to prove a point to a mate. I rode the bike with a completely flat rear for 30 miles! Speeds were from 40-120mph. The bike handled like it was a boat but the tyre never self destructed nor threatened to throw me off at any time. Never even fell off the bead. So if you are out in the middle of nowhere with a flat on the may, you may just be able to make it somewhere.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: vortex1114

secondly, i just bought a new rear tire late this past summer and when i was winterizing my bike i noticed a piece of metal in my tire, right in the center of my tire. do you think i should leave it there or just ride with it. im just bummed cause im pretty sure you cant patch tires like this.( maybe im wrong, could i throw a tube in it?) plus if this thing blows on the highway or sumthing i dont want to end up as someones hood ornament. And lastly, do any of you have tips for keeping the pesky little critters out of your bike. i tried mothballs last winter and they didnt work. i had some field mice make a nice little nest outa my seat foam on my #1 cylinder. ( found it when i started my bike in the spring and smelt something burning and found 4 toasted mice) this year i put a box of DeCon pesticde under my bike and put a piece of steel wool in my exhaust pipe. hope that works. just wondering what you guys do to winterize, something i havent thought of?
if it was my tire, i would replace it. personal preference. some people have plugged and had lots of success though. as far as the mice problem, i too had the same problem with an atv. i bought an exhaust plug and placed steel wool in all of the air intake tubes. anywhere big enough to stick your finger into. you may also want to try a tight fitting bike cover. just some thoughts.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM

thx for the input. im not sure that the tire is even punctured so i might get lucky. i ve just been too afraid to pull it out. at least now i have some confidence. ill wait for spring though. i dont feel like messing messing with tools that are so cold my hands will stick to 'em.[:'(]. i was thinking of a bike cover, probably worth the money. im going to wait on that too. ill see how my rat poison held out first thx for the feedback!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal preference is to replace the tire. Some have had success with plugs, but after a two flats at speed I'll take no chances. While both incidents ended with the bike still upright they were scary enough that a repeat isn't wanted. Mice? Sounds like you have it covered with D-Con and steel wool. The only thing left is to store a cat with your bike. Don't know what to say about the exhaust, but am interested in what othes have to say. Mine is starting to sound a little, um, exhausted.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 PM

Got a 4 into 2 Nexus system on mine, sounds good and gives good overall performance. Looks nice too. It's also street legal for those of us in the UK that aren't legally allowed to have noisy race cans )

Cheers.