CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

The price of Parts !

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a rort cause I've found that some parts are the same price and some are double or 3 times the price ! I can't work it out cause our dollar is stronger than the US yet we get charged more. I realise there is a larger customer base in the USA but even so the price difference between the two countries is a joke and a blatant rip off. But Honda and the other makers know we need the parts and they dont give a rats whether we buy them or not.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teehee, that "official response" was a blast to read. Like a ball-shaped wet soap... Rows after rows of text saying absolutely nothing... A textbook politician answer... As for the prices, many parts are unreasonably pricy here too, and for example trying to get parts to my old Cagiva is starting to resemble like chasing a unicorn... Every now and then someone knows someone that has seen something sometime, but before I get a hold of it, it's long gone... The retailers promise to order the stuff for you and give you a ring when they come, and never call you back... I was lucky enough to find myself a trustee dealer a few months ago that actually delivers what the promise. Things are luckily starting to look brighter as motorcycling is explosively becoming more popular here the prices of parts took a nose dive at january, but still there's the problem that the shops don't hold parts for vintage bikes in shelves and you still have to order almost everything... One would think it would be reasonable to keep parts for at least the most common bikes (cbr,gsxr etc) in stock, but for some reason they only do it with custom bikes...

Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts cost?? every one has their thoughts, But the truth of the matter really comes to what bike you have, & the price of the parts for that bike is always the governing factor. Just go on line & price the bike parts from back to front & compare, that's what i did, where i ended up grabbing a 03/cbr900rr that looked brand new, but it didn't start & as it wasn't running i got it that cheep, that it didn't matter to take that risk, & once i found the problems for it not running, i ordered the parts needed on line as that year bike is cheep for parts, which only cost me $221 delivered, new fuel pump hoses & strainer set, new fuel hoses, new stator & stator cover & gasket, new regulator, new break pads all round & dot 4 break fluid, new air & oil filters, & 4 new x iridium spark plugs. C.W

Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up But you only live once

Yea by all means what Webby64 did is by far the best approach to long term bike riding so to be able to stay on the road enjoying the ride let alone the savings in parts cost.
It also is the best approach at finding a "daily driver" also known here in the states as a "beater".
I got the Hurricane because I wanted one the first time I saw one, yet the daily rat race kept me busy keeping up with 3 cars. It looked like a good project bike to bring back to the road not thinking in parts cost and worst, availability. It's more of a therapy repairing it since I am able to clear my mind wrenching off other things that can't be fix.
I recall a guy at work that changed cars every 2 years so to keep from spending on repairs, he said that when the ash tray got full it was time to trade it in, but then he quit smoking, he said then that when the windshield washer reservoir went empty it was time. Not every body can do this, yet it shows a disattachment to cars in other words he did not have a baby. He also said "If you don't use it you loose it". He loved being out driving every where he could, he said he loved the open road. I do too.
So I am not going to gripe about parts cost since what really kills a bike or any other mechanical thing is parts availability, I am just going to look for the best deal available and bite the bullet "Get Her Done" (insert redneck accent here) and just try to get her road going to where I can at least enjoy the open road once again, while I still can.

PS It looks like I too am going to start looking for a 2K something CBR900RR "Beater".
It is hard to let go to things we grow attached to for whatever reason, but once the "not available" and worst "obsolete" come up doing parts searches it's time to cut your loses and move on.