CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Other competitors back in the day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other competitors back in the day?

Back in '95, when my bike was new, what were its market competitors? Was the 1000F Hondas flagship sportsbike or was it the 900? Has the 1000F always been considered a sports-tourer or has it just stepped back in speed rating to allow for the current lighter breeds?

People talk about dropping a tooth off the front sprocket or adding a couple to the rear, have people always been doing this since the Hurricanes were new or has it happened to try to compete with newer models?

I'm just wondering because I'd like to know where my bike stands compared to others around the same age.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Default RE: Other competitors back in the day?

If you want to compare it just look at the re-sale values.

I would say the closest was the ZZR-1100.

Here in Australia the CBR1000 won bike of the year twice and was runner up twice.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 PM

When the CBR1000 came out in 87, it blew everyone away. When the redesigned 90 and 91 came out it won one magazines test and came in second in another's. Here's a test of the 96 against it's contemporary bikes: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...portbikes.html

Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the day... cbr 1000f's were IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! the best... in all my old rags, in comparisons, the cbr always won. Fit and finish, a Honda consistancy. Smooth power, great torque, w/ great rush. ergonomics, the best, for any time spent in the saddle. as always, the linked brakes... ya eather love'm or hate'm !!!!!!!. the advent of the 900, was I think the future, as every body was beginning to sort out there chasis and adding HP.I got a friend w/ a early 1000 hurricane that smokes his friend on his R1!!!!!! For "naked bike" fun... they used to upgrade to cbr cams, on cb1000's, real sleepers. The advent of alum frames on every thing... lead to the lighter wieghts of the compitition. The hand writing on the wall... and better suspention, front and rear, really never was a consideration on 1000f's as thy were relagated to "sport touring" Remember it took the blackbird to "Up the stakes" for honda's sport tours. I read everything I could find about alternative bikes.. and there was nothing else out there...

Hey wanna upgrade for a zrx naked...(WRONG FORUM!!!!) put ninja cams/ carbs on... instant 27 hp!!!!! for about 800$!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish there was a simular bolt on for us !!!!!!!!

I LOVE MY 94 cbr1000f, what else would I get, a sporty concours????!!!!!!!!! they can only get down w/ old beemers!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 PM

The CBR1000F faced off against alot of bikes in its day, both as the Hurricane and F. 1st Gen ZX-10, FZR 1000, GSX-R 1100, ZX-11, Katana 1100, FJ 1200. That is probably the extent of most of them. Good bike though. My brother had one, lots of fun. Quick for what it was too, heavy as **** though. As far as where it stands, man that depends on alot of stuff. It'll get mopped up by a ZX-11 of similar years. Shouldnt have a problem with most 600's, even fairly new ones. My bros would beat an 02R6 and 02 6R Ninja, beat a friends 919, got ate for lunch by my 900RR, ran beside an FZ-1. They are pretty quick. I wouldnt pick on many new liter bikes unless yours is HEAVILY modded. Hope this helps a little. Re gear it, you wont be sorry. My bro dropped 1 in front and added 3 in back. Really made a diff.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Noe

The 1995 CBR1000F is one fine bike, but when I hear sports bike I thing track tool, and as that it's way to heavy!!! It would get it's *** kicked any day on the track or a very tiny backroad by a 1995 Fireblade!!! Things always depends on the pilot, but with two similar pilots, the Fireblade is the winner. I also think it would have a hard time keeping up with a ZX-9R from 1995 which is lighter than the CBR1000F, more powerfull and has got a better suspension. All that said the CBR1000F is still a fantastic bike !!! I certainly know which of the three I would tour to France (which I am doing this summer :-)) and what bike is best for allround use.

Personally I have been totaly and completely in love with the CBR1000F since I first saw it in an annual MC guide back in 1995.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:34 AM

Yup, these guys, are right. It was realy un reasonable to expect a, aproaching 600lb(w/ gas) sporttouring bike, with relitively unsophisicated suspension, to keep up w/ much higher tune packages... but out for some miles, comfy, undemanding, and fun... realy a compleat package, as a sport touring bike, the original intention of the build. I think we got lucky... they could have been a concours ZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-24-2006, 12:10 AM

This is an interesting thread!!

I too wanted to know where the 1000F stood up against newer bikes.. I tell ya what, it does quite well if you know how to handle her. I have taken some nice long sweepers keeping up with R1's at 140mph, but I must emphasize caution!! She is heavy, and without strict concentration you will find yourself in the grass!! Speed wise, no comparison. The newer bikes will just blow here away of the same calibre. 600's of new years can take her on LONG runs... I rode a 04 636 (Bonuses of having a buddy that owns a bike shop) and I tell ya what, it felt like both tires were on complete flats compared to my CBR. I mean absolutely NO low end grunt. Now if you let her scream up past 8k she finally starts to pick it up, but by that time I would be out of sight!! Heheheh..

Keeping up with newer bikes in the twisties definately depends upon your abilities.. Newer bikes are sooooo much easier to flick into the turns it is very difficult to keep the CBR at the same pace. In fact i put it on borderline impossible!! You have to have ***** of steel!! Heheh I take a road right up the street regularly at 120mph that has 3 sweepers and my CBR is laid waaaaaaaaay on her side to do it. Fun fun fun.. But a newer bike its like in cruise mode going through the same set of sweepers at the same speed. New 1K bikes are goverened at 186 mph, my cbr will never see those speeds!! I have had her to a clean 160 though, but that's it. I think for a 600 pound bike she is doing really well. Oh I forgot to mention one thing... Most of the newer bikes are really fast and light, but no where as comfortable as the CBR!! I do mean NO WHERE as comfortable.. So it depends on what you wanna do. I'm actually thinking of buying a ZX-10 for fun spirts around town acting crazy, and keeping my 1000F as my main stay and tour bike!! I can't see getting rid of her, I like that bike toooooo much! But another couple of bikes around it, I don't mind.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

I read the above thread, walked into the next room, picked up the April 1987 edition of Cycle Guide and looked up their cover article: "Honda Hurricane 1000 - 160 MPH Screamer". According to that article the CBR1000F was "one of the fastest, most well-rounded sporting liter-bikes . . ." I take that to mean it was not a 'sport bike', but a bike with sport-riding characteristics. A sport-tourer, in other words. The bike most likely leaned more toward the sport-touring catagory as years went by and sport bikes became lighter, horsepower increased and speeds increased.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 AM

I would agree with others on this post. The most important element of what you want your bike to do is determined by your confidence and knowing the machine. My brother, myself, and a friend of mine all went and rode the tail of the dragon. My brother has an aprilia factory mille 1000 (2002) and my friend has the 1997 suzuki tl1000s, and I on my 94 cbr1000f-r. When we first got there, I would say that my brother and friend were intermediate plus riders, and I an intermediate. I was not able to keep up with them on the turns until I got comfortable with the bike (I'd only had it a month before we went on the trip).

One other person here said that the cbr can't keep up with even the newer 600 class bikes and I would have to agree yet disagree. Out of the guys that I ride with, only 3 out of 20 that ride, are better in the turns than I. I would have any problems scraping a knee puck. In a straight away 1/4 mile, I have beat the 06 cbr600rr and 06gsxr600. My bike, engine wise is stock other than having an exhaust system, jet kit, -1 down in front and +3 up in back with a tsubaki chain. The suspension works excellent for its type and I totally believe in my tires (they have no chicken strips on the edge). There are some tricks you can share with others like trail braking with 1 finger on the lever setting up and going through turns, but they don't get it until they have tried it.

Bottom line, rider confidence and ability is far greater than the bike. It is simply the tool that helps.

Quick Reply: Other competitors back in the day?