CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Opinions on where to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Opinions on where to sell

Hey all, been thinkin' about it alot, and it seems the best scenario for me is to try and pass my bike along to someone who appreciates this type of bike and has time to use it. Still in the sport, I have a VTX 1300 that I ride alot more these days.

eb@y and cr@igslist seem to attract all the folks who just low-ball and hope for the best. cycletrader and walnecks have several 87-88 Hurricanes listed now too. And I know I can list here also.

Any comments on where you'd think I'd have the best luck? I tried last spring on eb@y, bids didn't reach $1800.

I know ya'll hate seeing someone get rid of one of the classics, but as I've went on about in another thread, I'm sorta gettin' into another phase of life right now, and with all the other things goin on, it's gettin' frustrating.

Thanks folks.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hate to hear you want to sell her. Where you sell her all depends on who see's it at the time. Ride safe

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

If you don't "need" the money right away I would network and try low key tactics until the right enthusiast comes along. Craig's List is popular here in Kansas as is Cycle Trader. Finding a person that appreciates the ol' girl will take time I'm afraid. It all comes down to when you really need the money and garage space. Good luck and ride safely.

Steve-o

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yep, I'd have to agree with Steve-o on this one. It may take a little time to get what it's worth out of her.... especially with the economy the way it is.
CL and CycleTrader will probably be your best bet, but ST forums may help, too.
Also, you may wanna try a local "shopper" type newspaper that allows you to run free ads. I've used our local one a few times. Only thing that sucks is that sometimes you sell whatever, and people are calling you for a month afterwards till the ad runs out...
But hey, if it sells for what you want, who cares!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean her up and put her in the window at your busiest bike shop locally.
People buy what they can see and touch.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here there's a couple of spots where people park their cars that they're selling, sometimes there's two or three. The local cops don't seem to care as long as the cars are registered and have their safety certificate in the window. I've also seen a couple of bikes on the back of utes for sale. Depends on your neighbourhood of course.

I'd go local paper, park somewhere in town with a 'for sale' sign, then the local bike shop. The bike shop will take a fee but at least you won't have to deal with all the tyre kicking, time wasters turning up to your place and snooping at all your other **** while they're there.

I hate selling stuff privately! There must be a mental condition that makes some folk ring up, set a time, then just not turn up. Then there's the ones who offer you half what you want...boils my p!ss!!

Good luck mate.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the great ideas all. Don't "need" the cash or garage space, but also know that the longer it takes, the less $$ it'll bring. I'm going to price it what I think is fair, for one in it's condition, and see what happens. Ya'll may see it on the For Sale section here, and I'll try a few other types of ads as well.