CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

One Thing After Another

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hear ya Chippy sometimes ones time is more valuable due to other life demands
and it's one of those jobs that could be better taken care of with a bike shop.

hmm, I'd be thinking you a have a binding or too tight a chain. Loosen it up
and see if the rumble subsides and lube the hell out of it at the same time

Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man Chippy I feel your pain! I've been feeling the same way, it seems I work on this old heap more and more and she keeps throwing me problems. I massively blew a fork seal last weekend myself but I made quick work of it. Just gotta keep after it and get it done. I had the carbs off again tonight to fix a dodgy idle, now it's running ok but all I hear is cam chain rattle! Sometimes you can't win, but you know it'll get better eventually. I always just think back to a really good ride I had a few days previous and tell myself it's still a good old bike

Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drew, I am taking my bike to get the carbs balanced because of a bad idle and they can do the fork seal at the same time. I know I can do the fork seal but it is probably the one job I don't like doing on any bike.

Hopefully the carb balance will sort out the idle and the fork seal will be the last of the problems.

I still love my lady but it's just getting to me that she only shows me problems just as I'm going to work and it seems never ending. I'm sure she'll be an angel for me for the rest of the year.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Welcome Crew

I sure hope so! Meanwhile I'm never opposed to keeping my eyes open for a spare bike to kick around and split seat time with... just gotta make a little room

Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM

I wouldn't mind another bike and keep the lady, but I keep thinking an nice old Triumph or something like that but it would probably be the same thing again.

Might look at getting a nice cheap cruiser for some nice relaxing rides out but then it's the finances.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Welcome Crew

My buddy has an old Triumph, '70 actually. It's anything but reliable! He's a Honda motorcycle mechanic and it takes a bit to keep it on the road. If you're thinking cruiser I came off a '95 VT1100 before my cbr... I did 6 years on it rain or shine and it was rock solid reliable. The more I think about it though the more I just want something new for reliability. My wife's '09 Ninja still has a carb and it runs better than any engine I've ever owned! It actually pisses me off a little

Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 PM

I've been looking at some old Triumphs, 60's models. I had a Bonneville a long time ago and could strip that down and rebuild it in a day. Nice and easy to work on.

Also been looking at the VTX 1800. It looks comfy and not to much of abike. I just hate that most of them over here have got running boards fitted instead of proper pegs.

I expect when I get home I will be feeling the love for my old lady again and this will be put on the back burner until she hits me with another problem.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Start a bike fund and by the time you think bout it again you will have the means to do what you want.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 PM

Already started that but every time I have some money in the fund I need something for the old lady. New tyres are on the list but it's the fork seal and carb balancing that will take some of the money out of it this time.

Same s**t different day

Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by Sprock
hmm, I'd be thinking you a have a binding or too tight a chain. Loosen it up
and see if the rumble subsides and lube the hell out of it at the same time
Thanks Sprock
Loosened her off a bit, noise not so bad now, but big variation between chain tension as I spin the rear wheel.
Guess I need a new chain and sprockets.

Quick Reply: One Thing After Another