CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

oil/gas overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil/gas overflow?

Does anyone else's right foot get sprayed with a petroleum based substance while riding? I get tiny droplets of what I assume is oil, but might be gas, I guess, on my right shoe as I ride. Over time I've pretty much coated my right shoe. Anything I can do about this? My guess is that it's coming out of the overflow tubes which vent over near my right foot.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil/gas overflow?

Definitely not !
Maybe reroute the pipe, but I'd want to find out WHY it's overflowing.......
Check your brake caliper for leakage - could be brake fluid too...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM

Insure its not oil. I had an oil leak on that side and it ended up running down from the engine. You should be able to smell the difference between gas and oil...and Brake fluid as Shadow mentioned. Keep in mind that if it is brake fluid, it will distroy your paint over a short time!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Well I'm certainly not worried about destroying the paint job on this bad boy. But other than that, I'm worried about the bike leaking anything. I've also found that if I were to, hypothetically, drop the bike on its side, oil starts draining out at an alarming rate. Is that normal? I have no idea exactly from where it is leaking as I've not done it recently and, of course, it's purely hypothetical anyway. But it definitely drains out all over the ground if the bike is over on its side. Any ideas why that might happen and if it might be related to getting one's feet covered in oil? I think, having smelled it, that it's oil and not gas or brake fluid. Should I tip the bike over and let it leak to find out where it's coming from?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha. This is funny. I'm sorry.
Your "hypothetical" situations.
If it was on it's side for a good amount of time, I could see it coming out of the motor through the vent tubes, etc. I could also see some residual sticking around in the fairing or something, and coming out for a couple rides, but not continuously.
You could be leaking out the valve cover and down.
Could also bea leaky oilcooler. I'd probably take a look at the oil cooler, since it's getting on your foot? Maybe?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 AM

Oil cooler is as good an idea as any. I'll definitely give that a try and see what happens. Still very new to the inner workings of the bike, so most of my guesses are true shots in the dark. Thanks, K.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the bike leaks oil at lean angles, then I suspect you have a cracked casing (under the round plastic bits on the engine, at crankcase level, both sides)
The left side is a timing cover, but leaks if the bike is dropped, due to pressure on the casing bolts. Not sure about the right side, but removing the round plastic cover will take no time, and may be worth the effort......? You'll see any leaks as a black smudge, covered in road muck....

Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 AM

You guys are way over my head on this site sometimes. It's pretty amazing. I'm, hopefully, addressing all these problems as time goes on. Bike seems to be running much better of late.