CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

ohm off 1993 CBR 1000F alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohm off 1993 CBR 1000F alternator

I am trying to check my charging system. I have googled many forums and websites, but no one talks about these bikes much. I hear some folks saying 1 ohm or less off the 3 yellow wires off the alternator, but I'm not sure. And isn't this a 28 amp system like the st1100? My rectifier shows ohm easily, so I guess it works. That just leaves the alternator in my book. Anyway the bike runs ok, even though the battery is not getting charged. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ohm off 1993 CBR 1000F alternator

Probably then your reg/rectifier is gone, a common problem on these bikes.
Download a manual from my siggy, read the charging tests, and do a search on the Forum in the Hurricane section for discussions on charging issues. I've done plenty of posts, so has Naga_Thai, and Kaska.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks Shadow, I hope it is the reg/rectifier. lol.It's only $150 bucks. And not the alternator. lol. Around $400 bucks. Do you know what the ohm should be on the reg/rectifier.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As Shadow says - and after tests... if it is the R/R you may want to download and read this
HONDA REGULATOR RECTIFIER....

http://tinyurl.com/6fnjdq

Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Shawn - I have replied to your PM.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM

If you need a stator cover (which is where the fault will lie, if it's the stator)
here's one on e-Bay for $20 US !
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...dll%3FViewItem
He has a complete unit too.........

Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Inspect the regulated voltage on the battery terminals with a voltmeter. The meter should read between 12 and 15 volts at about 5000rpm. If not take out the headlight fuse and check again. If you get a good reading make sure you take apart any connections in the wireing harness and clean them good with fine sandpaper and spray with contact cleaner. Corroded contact points will cause the system to not charge. You should do this first because it does not cost anythingbut time. I replaced some costly parts and was stranded a few times before finding the problem was just a bad connection in a plug.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 PM

I've read that all rectifier/regulators do the same thing. Convert alternating current to direct current, and regulating any excess current to heat. Doesn't matter if its for a Goldwing or CBR. The main problems are faulty ground and excess heat. Usually the diodes burn out. They are one-way switches and can be checked with a volmeter.

I have an old GS1000 that I bought new. The best article on testing R/R's and stators is somewhere on the GS Resources site: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php. Do a search for "stator papers".

Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM

[align=left]
I've read that all rectifier/regulators do the same thing. Convert alternating current to direct current, and regulating any excess current to heat. Doesn't matter if its for a Goldwing or CBR.
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Hi Slowpoke[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Whilst what you wrote, from what you read,is with good intent- it unfortunatlycould lead people astray.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Suggest you and others neading to know about this subject download and read this paper thatI wrote .. It is intended specifically for CBR1000F owners.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]HONDA REGULATOR RECTIFIER.... http://tinyurl.com/6fnjdq [/align][align=left]=============================================[/align][align=left]Quote from the paper....[/align][align=left]"Issue[/align][align=left]3. Is there an alternate from another bike I can use?[/align]
[align=left]No. Because of the specifications listed above, no R/R from another bike will[/align][align=left]work properly (Give the right regulated charge.) Disregard “talk” about “I can[/align][align=left]fit a Yamaha R1 R/R” – it wont work in this case....."[/align]

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM

I'm sure you mean well, Slowpoke, but I have to echo what Naga_Thai has said.
Other reg/recs don't work, you need one specifically manufactured for the 1000F.
Mine is an aftermarket, from Electrex in the UK,and gives me 14 volts at 1400RPM, if the battery needs it.
It has a HUGE heatsink which is one of the failings of the OEM unit- placement and lack of effective cooling.
You may wish to consider one - they carry a 12 month guarantee, which they honour if their unit fails, which the first two did, through no fault of the unit, a problem in my stator caused them to burn out. Since I fixed the stator (replaced the cover and windings)- no problems.The OEM unit carries NO GUARANTEE, so if it fails due to other componentry being faulty, tough - you pay again.
Just my 2c worth, but I have had a good bit to do with this section of the bike, and speak from experience.[X(]

Hey Martin, are you feeling 'Blue' ?

Quick Reply: ohm off 1993 CBR 1000F alternator