CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oh no...not another oil thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no...not another oil thread...

I know I know.....I'm just wondering what the general consensus is (if there IS one) on what type of oil to use. I'm going to change my oil and want to go synthetic....without a war starting, what are some of the options?

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Any oil without friction modifiers is fine. One the back of the bottle, in the list of approvals, look for JASO-MA, JASO-MA1, or JASO-MA2. That means it's good for wet clutches.

Look at diesel oils and motorcycle specific oils.
Rotella-T6 (made by shell) works really good.... $22/gal at WalMart.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Any oil without friction modifiers is fine. One the back of the bottle, in the list of approvals, look for JASO-MA, JASO-MA1, or JASO-MA2. That means it's good for wet clutches.

Look at diesel oils and motorcycle specific oils.
Rotella-T6 (made by shell) works really good.... $22/gal at WalMart.
Thanks. I was just reading up on it not having the friction modifiers in it.

It seems the PL14610 is the correct filter for it, yes?

The oil I used in my 4 stroke thumper (which came highly recommended from the guys on that forum) was Silkolene, which worked great for me. Like this:

"]https://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-Pro-4-Plus-Oil-600757120/dp/B009YEM6PA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467231120&sr=8-1&keywords=silkolene+oil"]

Is 10w40 a good weight for the CBR, or thicker is better?

And finally, is there a crush washer on the drain plug that needs to/should be changed each time? If so, where to obtain that?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Last edited by Webbie1; 06-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:25 PM

The filter sounds about right. I use the 4612 (PL14612) on mine, although its not a 1000f. It's the same filter, but a little shorter. I like the little extra clearance with the very hot header pipe.

A new drain plug gasket is never a bad idea.

10w-40 is fine. The rotella t6 only comes in 5w-40, so that's what it gets.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never changed a drain plug gasket in anything I have owned. If it doesn't leak its working just fine. Don't over tighten it and it will last forever.

Rotella-T 15w-40 is what I use. You can find it at most places that sell auto oil. Its diesel oil designed to take the pressures of the diesel bearings and can hold up to the crushing pressures of the gears in the bikes. I haven't tried Shell Rotell-T6 Full Synthetic.

Rotell-T is around $12 USD/gal, much less then Silkolene, doing the same thing.

Here is a LINK to oil filter options.

On my '94, I turn the bars to one side, slip the oil filter wrench through the slot in front lower plastic. With an extension on a breaker bar (or ratchet) I remove the filter. The filter then drops out the bottom to the rear. I never remove any plastic to do an oil change.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I have never changed a drain plug gasket in anything I have owned. If it doesn't leak its working just fine. Don't over tighten it and it will last forever.

Rotella-T 15w-40 is what I use. You can find it at most places that sell auto oil. Its diesel oil designed to take the pressures of the diesel bearings and can hold up to the crushing pressures of the gears in the bikes. I haven't tried Shell Rotell-T6 Full Synthetic.

On my '94, I turn the bars to one side, slip the oil filter wrench through the slot in front lower plastic. With an extension on a breaker bar (or ratchet) I remove the filter. The filter then drops out the bottom to the rear. I never remove any plastic to do an oil change.
Excellent advice. Thanks. On my old bike (the DRZ400) it was highly recommended to replace the crush washer.....the case design was such that overtightening it caused the washer to flare and act like a wedge that actually split the case. Not cool. For the small amount of money, I'd always use a new crush washer on that bike. I'll probably take your advice on the Walmart Rotella.....

Warner

Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM

The rotella 15w-40 is not synthetic. The rotell-t6 5w-40 is their full synthetic. They also have a semi-synthetic, but I don't know the weight.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM

T5 is shells semi-synthetic diesel oil, at my store it's available in 15w-40 and 10w-30. They offer a 10w-40 as well. The 15w-40 doesn't mention a JASO spec or a energy conserving spec. I wouldn't risk it though.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kiddchaos
T5 is shells semi-synthetic diesel oil, at my store it's available in 15w-40 and 10w-30. They offer a 10w-40 as well. The 15w-40 doesn't mention a JASO spec or a energy conserving spec. I wouldn't risk it though.
Agreed. No Jaso = No purchase

Warner

Last edited by Webbie1; 07-03-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo

EXACTLY what I just did today. Used the same Rotella that you use....bought the genuine Honda filters off of Amazon (got 2 for $25). Dumped the whole gallon in, which seemed like just the right amount. The scary part was that I was able to remove the existing filter by hand. Yikes. When I put the new one on, I realized none of my existing tools was going to get me anywhere near tightening it more than hand tight, which I didn't want to do again. So I ran over to the local auto parts store and got the correct filter wrench. The funny thing was, after I tightened the filter, I couldn't get the damn filter wrench off! So on it will stay until the next oil change, where I can pound it off and use it on the next filter. It seems as if it has become one with the filter at this point. Haha.

Warner

Took an awesome cruise down I90 today....some Harley riders flew past at 85mph, so I rode with them for a bit before exiting where I wanted to. Traffic was FLYING today.....I broke triple digits more than once just getting around people to change lanes. I guess it's always kind of crazy like this on holiday weekends.

Last edited by Webbie1; 07-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh no...not another oil thread...