CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Numb fingers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Numb fingers.

When I'm riding for any length of time (sometimes as little as half an hour) my fingers start to go a bit numb. On a longer ride they go almost completely numb and this really spoils my fun when some good corners come up.
There doesn't seem to be any bad vibration through the 'bars, I use foam grips and have fitted one of those plastic throttle rest things so I can wiggle my fingers around a bit.
I'm just over 6' tall and the bike has always felt like a great fit. I've thought about risers to take some weight off my hands (doing warp speed does this too but the fines are a bit much these days). Has anyone fitted these and, if so, what kind? I've heard that VFR750 bars will fit and are a bit higher but they're like hens teeth to find.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as, other than this, I really love riding this bike and cruisers really don't flip my switch!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VFR bars will fit, but try adjusting the balancer shaft on your engine. Easy job, much improvement in vibration. Any number of guys here have done it.......

Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I did adjust the shaft a fair while ago and I can't really feel much vibration, but maybe it's too high frequency to notice, but still enough to cause the problem. I'll have another go at it on the weekend and see if it helps.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I added GenMar risers last year and they do help. I am 6'1" and I get the same numbing.
The risers, oddly enough, helped in handling.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out hvmp.com they sell vibration reducing bar ends which they claim will help.
I have not purchased these yet but they are on my list as my hands also get numb.
But first I will adjust the balancer shaft which I have not done yet.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Had the same problem but only on my right hand, after going at a constant speed for a while my fingers went numb, but I solved this by installing a Vista Cruise and the problem is gone.
Just lock the throttle and let that little thing do the job, while I rest my hand.

Never had that problem on twisted roads though, where speed goes up and down.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 PM

I dont know about the cbr bars...and dont know if this is even possible with them given the weights in the ends, but for my choppers filling them with foaming insulation or polyurethane foam really helped with the vibrations from my engines...including the 750-4 honda i use...big difference..

Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 PM

hey. its all the throttles fault. You are constantly having to hold the throttle on with your wrist bent. It aint natural.

Vista Cruise is one way of doing it, but there are also those throttle clips with the flat pad that the heel of your hand rests on to keep the throttle on? (Can't recall what they're called) I hear they fix the problem as well.

What about adjusting your riding style? Try riding with your shoulders back a little more, elbows in a little more and give the tank a bit more of a squeeze with the knees. Don't use your arms to support your weight, use your torso and legs.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by stuconz
there are also those throttle clips with the flat pad that the heel of your hand rests on to keep the throttle on? (Can't recall what they're called) .
Throttle Rocker, $11. http://www.throttlerocker.com/

Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by stuconz
hey. its all the throttles fault. You are constantly having to hold the throttle on with your wrist bent. It aint natural.

Vista Cruise is one way of doing it, but there are also those throttle clips with the flat pad that the heel of your hand rests on to keep the throttle on? (Can't recall what they're called) I hear they fix the problem as well.

What about adjusting your riding style? Try riding with your shoulders back a little more, elbows in a little more and give the tank a bit more of a squeeze with the knees. Don't use your arms to support your weight, use your torso and legs.

YUP, this was gonna be my first suggestion. I had the same problem when I started out, someone told me about grabbing the tank with my knees, not putting weight on the bars...........and what do ya know, no more numbness.

Almost like yer doin crunches the whole time, good for the abs.

Quick Reply: Numb fingers.