CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Not happy with my shifting technique at higher speeds...Pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not happy with my shifting technique at higher speeds...Pointers?

Hello my friends,

I've been working on smoother / better shifting at higher speeds, but I'm not satisfied with my technique. By higher speeds I mean triple digits. I feel there is too much time between clutch release-gear change-clutch engage. Also, I don't think I'm rolling off the throttle properly or rolling off enough. Anybody got any pointers for me? Anybody know of a good youtube video describing technique? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to clutches upshift by rolling off quickly and shifting. Simple. If you want it better, get a quick shifter. There are a few standalone units out there.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have to pull the clutch lever in until its all the way against the grip. Also you dont have to completely shut off the throttle either. Try something on the slower side of speed..........as you're going up through the gears, without redlining the tach, try to maintain the same rpm with the clutch pulled in and released while you shift......as the rpms were in the gear you are shifting out of. Then when you get use to that you could probably make better shifts as your speed increases.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you can do many things there.
Air shifter. Bad part, the ones I use to use, required are added after a few shifts. Drag racing, Rev limiter, light shifter as well.

Replacing plates and springs in clutch and make sure they are torqued to spec.

Speed shifting tho, is often done with backing off the throttle a split second and fast foot shift into gear at same time, then back on the gas. No clutch is used.

And I don't recommend a partial pull in on the clutch at that speed and high rpm, with outhe knowing what you are doing, you can cause the back tire to break loose, and loose control, I'd done jerky. At 100 plus speeds

The the throttle back off and shift and back on throttle, should not very more than 1500 rpm difference. If this old bike can respond that quick. Tuned carbs and good running bike, yes.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never use my clutch up-shifting. That;s just me though

Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by wooferdog
I never use my clutch up-shifting. That;s just me though
If I'm cruising then I always use the clutch. If I need to go right now then the clutch just adds unnecessary time and effort.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the tips and feedback Folks. I do try up shifting without clutch, but I this trans feels very tight. It doesn't like to do it. I suspect that there is excessive backlash in the drive train, and that the unit could do with a rebuild. I'm not in the mood for that just yet...

Old 10-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Technique ma man.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus 1 for clutchless shift . Load the shift lever , back off slightly and it will fall into gear smoothly.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM

Sometimes it cooperates, most of the time not. I do understand the technique of clutchless upshifting...it worked great on my previous ride. My CBR doesn't like it.

Quick Reply: Not happy with my shifting technique at higher speeds...Pointers?