CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

not another noisy chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
jb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not another noisy chain

yes i bought a new chain only, good quality D.I.D brand, sprockets looked fine but when i put it on it wines like a mother >-<er!, anybody have any idea's, i think ill end up having to change the sprockets.. only done 17k miles, and the join link was a press one, what happened to the old circlip ones pfft.. or maybe the sprockets will bed into the new chain?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: not another noisy chain

2 Possibilities that I can think of. The most obvious is that the sprockets are worn. 17k miles on them I would recomend replacing them. They're the inexpensive parts compared to the chain. The other possibility is that the rear wheel/sprocket is not properly aligned. I would think it would have to be pretty far off in order to make noise, but it could happen. I'm thinking that the sprockets are the most likely culprit though.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be that the sprockets and chain aren't the same pitch ? Maybe something worth checking - mine runs a 530 pitch/width chain and sprockets.....excessive sprocket wear will also cause a whine..........(sounds a bit like my ex wife) he he

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) never replace the chain w/o changing the sprockets too.
2) is it too tight?
3) is it dry? shouldnt be but yanno.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
jb

im 99.9% sure it will be the sprockets,i aligned the rear wheel on the adjusters and hand turned to check for any unusual noises i.e if anythings is out of line u will hear a clicking or anything realy, will order sprockets to suit chain should have known better, as if i run this new chain it will just wear the chain out, might go one tooth up on the front sprocket to get the revs down at high speed, which would be an 18 tooth?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct, JB - another benefit will be that your speedo will be quite a bit more accurate ......Will now only read about 4% over your real speed. Pull away will of course be down a bit......

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jb

im 99.9% sure it will be the sprockets,i aligned the rear wheel on the adjusters and hand turned to check for any unusual noises i.e if anythings is out of line u will hear a clicking or anything realy, will order sprockets to suit chain should have known better, as if i run this new chain it will just wear the chain out, might go one tooth up on the front sprocket to get the revs down at high speed, which would be an 18 tooth?
I wouldnt go up a tooth on the front, that would kill the bottom end power.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
jb

ok cool i will keep standard chers

Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
jb

edit/update, spent a good 3 hours replacing sprockets, front one has never been off the bike, (factory tightened bolts are so damn tight!) and looked like someone had had a go at it before with a slightly rounded nut, so with a lot of care and someone holding the back brake on i managed to crack it off phew!, if it had rounded dont know what i would have done... then the back one which was a lot easier, anyway end result was both sprockets were actualy worn badly, when u compair the new ones to the old ones they were about 3/4 of the tooth gone, there is no noise at all now

here is a pic of the old front sprocket (sorry should have taken pic of the new one but was in a rush)

[IMG]local://upfiles/18440/8233F5FFD3E64121ACCDF058DE8A71C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace the bad bolt? Probably a good idea, but sometimes I'm stupid and don't...
That thing is trashed.
Best that it's gone....

Quick Reply: not another noisy chain