CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

non starter(getting me crazy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be flooded , and daft question ,have you got the leads on the right plugs, though even not with the wasted spark one of them should have fired

Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Could it be flooded , and daft question ,have you got the leads on the right plugs, though even not with the wasted spark one of them should have fired
the leads are from the left ignition coil * 1 and * 4 and from the right ignition coil * 2 and * 3

The contact wires on the left ignition coil yellow / blue on the blue plug and black / white on the black plug

The contact wires on the right ignition coil blue / yellow on the blue plug and black / white on the black plug

Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yes right there matey, have you tried squirting the starter fluid into the cylinders without the carbs in place, sorry if I'm going over what you might have already done, but maybe take the carbs off again just to get a clear view of whats happening

Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Yes right there matey, have you tried squirting the starter fluid into the cylinders without the carbs in place, sorry if I'm going over what you might have already done, but maybe take the carbs off again just to get a clear view of whats happening
No, I have not tried that yet.

And frankly when I had to put the carbs on it that was very difficult they almost did not go into the intake rubbers.

And I'm so tired I've been working on this bike since last September.

I think I'm going to sell him to someone who is technically savvy.

HONDA CBR1000F DUAL 1993

Old 02-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

That would be a great shame matey, keep going , what do you have on now is it the Sticks or the Coils, but Im sure if you get any sort of firing out of the engine that will spur you on, I know the carbs coming off/going on is a pain , but you've got a great looking bike there , dont let someone else nick it from under you.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 That's a pretty sweet build. Shows a lot of care/attention went into it. Also, I totally get that feeling of just being done with a project. Happens to the best of us (a lot)

Even if you had to take it to a bike shop for a bit of professional attention, that'd be better than trying to sell it as a non-runner. I'd call up a local shop, explain the mods, trailer it over with the jet kit, and tell them to clean/rebuild the carbs with the new jets, and troubleshoot spark. It shouldn't take them more than half a day. Include the known-good coils to make it easier on them (and cheaper on you)

If you do it in the off-season you'll get a lot more love - if you wait til springtime when everyone's busy they won't want to spend any extra time/energy on it. Just my experience

As others suggested, you're probably dealing with a carb issue. The jets should help, and some tuning will probably be necessary to get it running right. Also a heat gun and some dish soap (or fancy grease meant for rubber) will make those boots go on/off easier

If you're getting weak spark then that could definitely be making it worse. If you're sick of looking at the carbs, you could probably check voltage at the spark unit 6-pin connector, as well as resistances at the spark unit 4-pin connector to rule out problems upstream of the coils. It should all be in the service manual

You got this

Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
+1 That's a pretty sweet build. Shows a lot of care/attention went into it. Also, I totally get that feeling of just being done with a project. Happens to the best of us (a lot)

Even if you had to take it to a bike shop for a bit of professional attention, that'd be better than trying to sell it as a non-runner. I'd call up a local shop, explain the mods, trailer it over with the jet kit, and tell them to clean/rebuild the carbs with the new jets, and troubleshoot spark. It shouldn't take them more than half a day. Include the known-good coils to make it easier on them (and cheaper on you)

If you do it in the off-season you'll get a lot more love - if you wait til springtime when everyone's busy they won't want to spend any extra time/energy on it. Just my experience

As others suggested, you're probably dealing with a carb issue. The jets should help, and some tuning will probably be necessary to get it running right. Also a heat gun and some dish soap (or fancy grease meant for rubber) will make those boots go on/off easier

If you're getting weak spark then that could definitely be making it worse. If you're sick of looking at the carbs, you could probably check voltage at the spark unit 6-pin connector, as well as resistances at the spark unit 4-pin connector to rule out problems upstream of the coils. It should all be in the service manual

You got this
Hello there thanks for the nice respons

I have decided to give it another last chance.

I'm going to order the jetkit from Sigmajets and then pull the carb off, completely clean them and put the new jets in it and see if he starts with this.

I have checked the coils and the leads with my multimeter and I also have spark now on the spark plugs.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

That's it matey ,stick with it , I'm sure you will have it running with the help of the guy's on here

Old 02-26-2019, 06:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s great to hear man. Bike looks awesome too.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by the fly
It has spark - fuel - and good juice from the batterie when i crank it over with the choke closed and no open trotlle it looks like heb want to start i am getting sometimes a bang in the exaust but thats it .

Already put new sparkplugs in new CDI checked all the wires voor breaks all good , It gets enough fuel and where i live its high octane fuel .
OK, I was looking at this post. What is the history of the bike? Has anyone played around with the cam chain tensioner? Where did the CDI come from? Is it the correct one?

I'm a bit confused by your last post. Were you getting good spark before or not. Have you tried to start it after establishing good spark?

You mentioned the bang from exhaust. If the cam timing is off with the proper CDI and good spark, this may cause the bang and non-start. If it were me, I'd check the cam timing if you have spark and fuel.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 02-26-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: non starter(getting me crazy)