CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no power

Hey Guys and greetings, Just popped in to let you know I'm still alive and well, The bike has been going good for many weeks now, but I am now running gravity feed, took the fuel pump off many weeks ago with no problem, now she starts to exhibit a strange symptom where she wont climb pass 3 on the taco and starts feeling like it starving of petrol, and cant accelerate passed a certain point, or maybe electrical? starts and idles ok, can a bung rectifier do this? any thoughts where to start looking would be appreciated..
cheers

Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Horse, after playing around with the fuel hoses/pump etc. did you change the fuel filter not long after? Also, there are filter screens on the carbs than can clog and slow fuel rates down to a trickle.(I only know this info 2nd hand haven't had to clean the screens myself) Hope this helps til someone who actually knows can give you some more ideas, also don't forget the 3x strenght seafoam(I am actually using valvoline stuff from Supercheap Auto $13 for 2x bottles does 170 litrs of fuel)

Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid
Hey Horse, after playing around with the fuel hoses/pump etc. did you change the fuel filter not long after? Also, there are filter screens on the carbs than can clog and slow fuel rates down to a trickle.(I only know this info 2nd hand haven't had to clean the screens myself) Hope this helps til someone who actually knows can give you some more ideas, also don't forget the 3x strenght seafoam(I am actually using valvoline stuff from Supercheap Auto $13 for 2x bottles does 170 litrs of fuel)

Thanks Jarvid, no I didn't change the fuel filter, but I did run her without it today, i ran the line straight in without fuel filter for a test and it was responding the same, checked all my vaccum caps in place, you reckon that seafoam stuff can help unclog the filter screen is carb?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need to a few takes of Seafoam.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

The filter screens in the carbs can get pretty clogged up, I'd strip them and give them a good clean if you haven't done it before. Won't take you too long and it'll give you a chance to look at all the other components as well, check for any leaks or holes in the diaphragms.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horse_power777
Thanks Jarvid, no I didn't change the fuel filter, but I did run her without it today, i ran the line straight in without fuel filter for a test and it was responding the same, checked all my vaccum caps in place, you reckon that seafoam stuff can help unclog the filter screen is carb?
I've just been through all this with my bike, no amount of cleaner will get rid of the crap built up on these bloody annoying little filters. The only real option is to remove the carbs, do a proper clean and reassemble. Ensure these little filters are done prpoerly. Don't clean with compressed air as they rip or take off outta ya hands like bullets never to be seen again. Lastly if ya gonna bin em, ensure an inline filter is fitted.

Mine were that bad that at highway speeds one or two float bowls emptied out (or sufficiently low enough) leaving me stuttering along. However once back at idle or I backed off to a slower speed the bowls refilled and 'normal power' resumed lol. This sort of symptom is 'classic' honda occurance for blocked carb filters.

My VT's and VTR's all suffered from this issue at some point, bloody annoying. I've typically ripped them out and replaced with an inline filter.

The last time I had a cooked rectifier, many years ago, it did create issues, but (from memory) there are other symptoms too, hard starting, flat battery. Just do a simple check. Check battery satatic volts before starting, should be 12ish volts. Start bike with voltmenter connected, will dip on starting, raise revs to 3kish and volts should rise to 13.5ish volts.

Have to admit running a cbr thou on gravity is brave. Would be ok for puddling about, but giving the bike a good work out may result in running lean.

Good luck with sorting out.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 AM

ok. took the carbs out today, but million dollar question where are these filter things, and look what i found on the bottom of carb 3, stale old petrol?? anyways where do i start to perform carb surgery. the bowls? cant see an obvious leak. oh crap, i can get 3 of the screws out but the 4th one is so stripped, any good tricks to get a stripped screw out.

Attached Thumbnails no power-mm666-038.jpg  

Last edited by horse_power777; 10-30-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

ok. took the carbs out today, but million dollar question where are these filter things, and look what i found on the bottom of carb 3, stale old petrol?? anyways where do i start to perform carb surgery. the bowls? cant see an obvious leak. oh crap, i can get 3 of the screws out but the 4th one is so stripped, any good tricks to get a stripped screw out.
Eeeeek!!!
A stripped float bowl screw would make my heart sink. I don't envy you that one Horse.
Can you actually get the bowl off? Will the screw come out? when you say stripped, I would assume the softer aluminium of the carb body has stripped rather than the screw its self.
The filters are under the float valve. Remove the pin holding the float, remove the float and the valve and you'll see the filter inside the orifice. You can gently remove it with a small screw driver.
I assume you've checked the fuel tap filter in the tank before doing all this?
Good luck man!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM

Vice Grips are good, but may not fit. I've used a hacksaw blade to cut a center and then used a large, common screwdriver. Check out the screws at 2 and 7 o'clock:

Now check out the screws replaced with stainless Allen-head screws:

Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 AM

That's a great modification slowpoke!!!! will do mine next time I have them off.

Quick Reply: no power