CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No lights and no gas 93' 1000f

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No lights and no gas 93' 1000f

Ok so got two weird problems. One I think I know and need a confirmation, and another I don't know.

1st issue, sometimes when I got to start by bike, I turn the key on and......nothing, at all, I shake the bike, nothing, I checked the plugs up front, nothing, fuses, nothing, but suddenly it will kick on and everything works fine. Never dies while going down the road. Just random times. I'm thinking it might be the tail light. Sometimes after bumping the bike it kicks on, or I pull the seat off it kicks on , after bumping the wiring in the back. But could it cause this without burning up the fuse?

2nd issue, was riding the bike, having a fun time in some twists and hills, going down a hill it acted like I was hitting the reserve, flipped the switch and nothing. Getting mad as I coast into a church lot with a dead bike. She wouldn't start and the fuel was almost to the reserve. Not quite there though (fuel gauge doesn't work) so I pulled the main hose and plugged it with my thumb (don't know if it did anything) but it fired up and started pouring fuel from the tank to the ground, felt stupid haha so put it together and it ran. My thought is going down the hill, did all the fuel get pushed forward and it was then running of hopes and dreams Since it was low to begin with? O and I'm really sure it isn't the ignition. Going down the hill it ran just as if it was running out of gas

Anyone else have that issue?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Welcome Crew

have you checked the main fuse and connections on the starter relay,its behind the righthand seat pannel by the resevior tank, (see pic) if your bike dosent light up try giving it a wiggle and see if that brings it on it may just need a clean up, worth a try ,and the fuel issue sounds logical to me

Attached Thumbnails No lights and no gas 93' 1000f-image0297.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Insan3Nightmare
My thought is going down the hill, did all the fuel get pushed forward and it was then running of hopes and dreams Since it was low to begin with? O and I'm really sure it isn't the ignition. Going down the hill it ran just as if it was running out of gas

Anyone else have that issue?
Yep happened to me before. Got steep hills where I live and my problems from about a year ago were because I was running low on fuel and the tank was at a steep angle.

Blamed the bike, but it was me at fault

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
have you checked the main fuse and connections on the starter relay,its behind the righthand seat pannel by the resevior tank, (see pic) if your bike dosent light up try giving it a wiggle and see if that brings it on it may just need a clean up, worth a try ,and the fuel issue sounds logical to me
I'll give that a shot. Thank you

Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
You sir, are awesome. It looks like someone held a lighter to it though. Going to need new contacts at the very least.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Worth checking this regularly

Originally Posted by Insan3Nightmare
You sir, are awesome. It looks like someone held a lighter to it though. Going to need new contacts at the very least.
Had the same issue with mine last year - a lot of breakers have the relay in. I got mine for £15 posted. Cleaned the contacts and replaced the corroded ones and she's been sweet ever since.
One assumes as its under a rubberised cover all is well but its worth checking this part as a maintenance point - regular WD40 on mine now to clean then vaseline the contacts. Keeps the condensation away.

Good luck.

Rich

Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Welcome Crew

glad to help out,