CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No fuel to carbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok

Bike now starts, runs and idles on gravity feed. Jumper test confirms pump is dead.

From what I've learned the pump engages during start and at 3 second intervals above 3000 rpm. So the overlean situation does appear to be a threat if gravity fuel feed is used for extended road running. I do a lot of interstate riding and would not to hole a piston or anything of that sort.

Ebay shows a 1988 CBR600 pump, used for $23.00. I'll see if it's compatible

Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Search by part number says the pumps are different

Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of a supplementary question on fuel supply

+1 on the workings of the fuel pump Wooferdog, I thought I had some random electrical fault till I had a study of the wiring diagram.

Without wishing to hijack the thread I still have this nagging doubt that all is not well in the fuel supply area. Couple of days ago I checked out the rubber hose that runs from the pipe at the rear of the fuel tank down to near the radiator catch tank on the r.h.s. I presume it lets air back into the tank as fuel is consumed?

So if I disconnect the hose from the pipe on the underside of the tank I can blow back up it from below, but when I reconnect it to the pipe from the tank my eyes bulge and my ears bleed when I try to blow up it.

Next test was to carefully feed a probe down the pipe from the hole by the fuel filler (after much experimentation weed eater line proved to be the go). It gets about 1/2 way down the pipe and comes to a dead halt.

Do I need to drain the tank, take it off and blow up the pipe with some heavy duty compressed air to clear what appears to be a blockage of some description?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best check is to run the bike, until it won't idle anymore, then "crack" the fuel filler cap - if you get a "whoosh" then the line into the tank is blocked. Trying to unblock the fine diameter pipe I found to be impossible, so came up with another solution which has worked 100% for me for the past 3 years. It involves finding a hypodermic needle, bending it and fitting it in a small hole under the right side of the filler cap neck. No leaks, good airflow, and no further problems.
If you need pics, let me know and I'll continue......

Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 AM

Thanks Shadow for your thoughts. The problem is that it's an occasional issue, I think if I idled till it happened the engine would seize from lack of airflow first. Maybe it's just one of those things that I just have to plug away at eliminating causes when it happens. Damn annoying when you're a few k up the road and it just dies tho.

Just re-read your reply and had a look at my filler, I'm guessing you made a new hole on the right, a picture might help. But at this stage I'm liking your thinking.

Thanks
TK

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be our old favourite, the fuel filter in the tank that is blocking occasionally ? Also, I've heard of a leak in the vacuum hose on the later models which could cause an intermittent fault.
I have also heard of coils doing this, when on their way out and the bike is hot.
Just a few thoughts, based on experience.
If you need a pic of the "hypodermic fix" I'll take one

Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 AM

Cheers Shadow, show me the hypodermic fix, I'm thinking I might go along to our local vet and get me one of them needles they use on horses, that should do it.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Question

hello everyone !
needing some info on my current project 1990 cbr 600
i recently had the tank cleaned and carbs
was really excited about getting that done
well brought it home put it all together
then started right up no problems
but i notice it was idling high around 3k
then i let it run so when i started to give it some throttle
it just wants to die so i rechecked everything again its doing the same thing
fuel pump is working well check all vacuum lines

thanks

please help

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Banned

Your probably better off asking over on the CBR 600 board skull. I'm sure the guys that have them could steer you in the right direction.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Default the carb's and cleaning

thanks bordo got it !
the guy who did my carb's had the idle set more like 5k 6k
and it was screaming
took some sand paper to clean the fuel pump elec diodes?
and it quit dying on me when i gave it gas
im learning ...lo ! so if you have a rusted tank the way to go is electrolysis
i tried muritic acid with 2;1 ratio and desil l fuel with bb's useing electrolysis it came out so clean and new looking and i notice when redoing the carb's it really wakes the bike up i have lot's of torque now dont for get to change your plugs and a good time to do antifreeze and oil while your carb's are being cleaned

thanks bordo !
for the support and interest

its monday morning
here in dallas its cold out!
im going to put my fairings back on now
and go around the block

tony !

Quick Reply: No fuel to carbs