CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Nitrogen Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen Inflation

Has any body given this a thought ??? I used to have it in my car and it gave a much smoother ride and also the tyres seemed to last longer Bob Jane in Australia gives a service by memory it was $12 a tyre I am going to go and enquire about having it done to my bike.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Nitrogen Inflation

hey Waz

Not only does it give a smoother ride, but pressure is less affected by variance in outside temperature compaired to compressed air. So if it iscold chances are your tire won't loose as much pressure. but i don't know about is use in motorcycle.

Dragon64

Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: waz57

Has any body given this a thought ??? I used to have it in my car and it gave a much smoother ride and also the tyres seemed to last longer Bob Jane in Australia gives a service by memory it was $12 a tyre I am going to go and enquire about having it done to my bike.

Not worth it if you maintain your ride. Your tire checks should be one of the many things you do before EVERY ride. Air is free and a tire pump costs $6. Get one and do a pre-ride check before you go out. Air is just as good.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Unless you are Rossi there is no point in Nitrogen inflation. I have some knowledge of this as I used it in Racing Cars.

There is no difference in "ride" They are both gasses with close enough to the same density to not make a difference. Anything you feel is placeebo.

The reason Nitrogen is used over air in racing is that with air the amount of water in the air depends on humidity,air temp at filling and the compressor, so when it come to inflation pressures increasing during use because of tyre temp the pressureis harder to guage. Where as using pure Nitrogen mean you know exactly how much the pressure is going to rise with tyre temp.

Nitrogen doesnt make your tyres last longer or handle better.

Itsjust a good way for People like Bob Jane to make $$$.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

C'mon people, wake up here... Trips is right on ! Air is 78% nitrogen already, and as has already been said, oxygen is a gas too. You think substituting 22% of the volume of gas you put in your tire is going to make any difference ? Hello !! LOL

Seriously, spend your money some place else, like a few gallons of real gas.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 AM

If you fill them with helium, you'll be lighter in the corners....

Seriously, the things folks say about gases and nitrogen in particularare mostly not based in real physics.

The Ideal Gas Law says temperature and pressure are proportional. T1/P1 = T2/P2. So air, nitrogen, helium, etc. Doesn't matter. As an example, at a tire filled to 35 psi at 80 degrees, increasing it to 150 degrees only makes it climb to 42 psi. (Now before you try this formula at home, you have to convert the temperature to the Rankine scale 'cause it has to be an absolute scale, and F is not. Add 460. You also have to convert the psi to absolute pressure, so you have to add the atmospheric pressure, which is 14.7 psi at sea level). The Nitrogen may be more of a gradual/slower heat change since it is not mixed, but it will change and the difference should be insignificant. Argon might be better.

Nitrogen is larger than oxygen, so the molecules won't leak as bad as with air - estimated that you'll save 1, maybe2 psi per month from leakage. People who don't check tire pressure, this will help. I check mine.

Pure N2 is also dry. No water vapor to cause problems in the tire and wheel. This is said to help with degradation of the rubber - but we wear the tires out from the outside, not the inside, long before it would have an effect you could notice. Also, the air I use in my part-time job is hyper-filtered, so it's just as dry as pure nitrogen (and that's what I fill my tires with). Hyperfiltered air is a little harder to get than nitrogen, but I'm a scuba diver/technician and I've got lots.

It's non-flammable and does not support combustion. So, in a big crash, your exploding tires won't make the fire worse. (If I crash bad enough to make the tires explode, I probably won't care what's in them).

So...bottom line, if it's free, take it, won't hurt. If they charge, get air.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Shouldn’t you use water instead!
Large molecules, so you won’t lose much, doesn’t compress, so you get good road feedback.
The extra weigh will lower the centre of gravidity and extra centrifugal force will give you better handling.
If you have an accident, it will help put the fire out.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarkR
If you have an accident, it will help put the fire out.
MarkR... you're killing me man...LOL