CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Newby

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newby

Hi and welcom to the site. It's always nice to have get new members

I have also heard that the bridestone BT020 is a bad tire for the CBR1000F... I ride on Michelin Pilot's and are happy with them!

PS: Please post a picture of the bike if you can

Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mikekop

I donĀ“t think clutch slip will cause the rear to slide sideways, or am I wrong? I think you have a ****ty rear tire, you said in start post that there was a new tire on, but a tire is only as new as the DOT-mark says. Several thing can cause hardening of the rubber, such as wrong storage, age, heat... But I have to say that it sounds strange that it spins even on 4th gear. Maybe you have a Scottoiler that pukes out oil on the chain?
There are probably several mechanisms involved. It is easy to overpower the tyre during lean in 90 deg corners and get a slide on lower gears. I experienced that a few times with the Hurricane.

But when the tyre spins upright on 2dn, 3rd and 4th gear on dry and clean tarmac, it is for sure clutch slip on a Hurricane. Even real powerful bikes like the new ZX14R, the Hayabusa, the ZX12R, or any modern 170 hp sport bike, will lift the front in these conditions without noticeable tyre spin.

The Blackbird having 140 rwhp is also the same, when shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd, the front goes up quite a bit but the rear tyre doesn't spin at all. When rolling gentle at 35 mph on first gear just below max torque, and then giving full throttle, the front leaves ground very easy, but the rear tyre remains gripped if the tarmac is dry.

I dont think there is a major difference in dry grip beween BT020 and Pilot Roads.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:35 PM

Hey - Problem solved - It's definately NOT clutch slip but it is a very dodgy tyre.
Took it in to have a Michelon Pilot fitted and the problem is cured. The BT 020 has some kind of contamination (not sure what but it wouldn't burn off) on it and now she lifts the front instead of spinning the rear. She'll still spin up coming out of slow to medium (high lean)corners if I am too enthusiastic on the throttle but nowhere near as bad. As for the clean dry tarmac - never heard of clutch slip putting the back end sideways either.......

Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM

So how come it's called the Gold Coast?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 AM

@ Kevlan,I have the same problem on my bike, only does it in the wet tho, reartyre is a nearly new BT020, it is deffo not clutch slip as i can feel the back slip sideways, seems to hit 7k to 8k and then afterburner kicks in, plenty of grip on bends etc so dont think the tyre is at fault, bike was modded by a previous owner, Vance and Hines 4 into 1 and scorpion race can, have no idea if jetting changed but it goes like s**t of a shovel, i would be happier with a smoother power delivery tho as when it hits high revs it is a bit brutal, any one any ideas how to smooth things out a bit ?
Rob